Starting procedure

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Rontom
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Starting procedure

Post by Rontom »

Hi there, I recently bought my first oldtimer, an unrestored Dino 2400 Coupe (1972).
I understand there is a starting procedure and although the car drives good (and very fast!), starting the engine is still difficult.
According to the ownersmanual you have to use the choke, but according to the Dino bible by Mike Morris, one should never use the choke.
Is the best procedure: to turn the key a little to turn on the fuelpump( for how long?), let go of the key, pump the acceleratorpedal 3 times (why?) and then start the engine?
Would realy like to read your starting procedures?

Thanks,
Ronald

Any Dino owners near Amsterdam?
Ronald
2400 Coupe '72
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Starting procedure

Post by Tobi »

Choke should not be necessary. Just turn the key until you hear the fuel pump. Wait a few seconds and pump the accelerator pedal a few times to get the fuel into the carbs. Then turn the key to crank the engine. It should start within a second or two if everything is set fine.
Do you have a Dinoplex or another ignition system installed? If you're running on points only, starting might be a bit harder.
Have fun with your new Dino!
The Dutch Dino

Post by The Dutch Dino »

Hi,
Here's what I do:
1) turn ignition key to let the fuel pump run (do not start engine yet)
2) wait until you hear the fast ticking fuel pump slow down to a more regular slow ticking pump. This is a sign that the carbs are full and that you are pumping fuel around through the feedback lines to the tank again.
3) pull the choke at least halfway.
4) press the accelerator/gas pedal three time to squirt fuel into the funneks of the carbs.
5) wait one or two seconds, to allow the fuel to vaporise
6) start engine
7) push back choke to a comfortable idle speed

It can make a huge difference if you have old fuel (after winter storage) or old spark plugs.
I had 'colder' ('8') old spark plugs and it was hard to start. New 'hotter' ('6') spark plugs make it start much easier.
Most important is that plugs are new, whatever grage. And fuel is fresh.

Let us know if this solves the issue.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
Rontom

Post by Rontom »

Thanks for your replies. It helps when I understand what is happening under the hood when I try to start the engine.
I will check with the garage about the spark plugs.
A new ignition with points (from Superperformance) has just been installed and we are waiting for a new Dinoplex from Italy, that litle box under the hood? (I am not a technical wonder...).
I want to keep the car as original as it now is, so I have not chosen for some modern electronical replacement.
The car has run about 115,000 KM, maybe it is time for an engine overhaul? Is that usefull?

Ronald
Ronald
2400 Coupe '72
alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Post by alh »

A modern ignition setup should not be required if you have a working original Dinoplex in place (just make sure you don't buy one of the AEC103A replicas sold in italy, those have a smaller connector and different wiring colors than the original). NGK BP7ES spark plugs are a good choice for a Dino with a Dinoplex installed. Also check the distributor cap for dust/dirt and cracks on the inside and replace the spark wires if they look worn down.

As Toby said, a choke is normally not required to start the Dino. Let the fuel pump run for 10-20 seconds, apply the throttle for 2-3 times and start the engine, if necessary feather the throttle pedal just a tiny bit until the engine runs steady. (Applying the throttle for 2-3 times will prime the carbs with a bit of fuel which makes the starting much easier).
Rontom

Post by Rontom »

Thanks guys!
Ronald
2400 Coupe '72