So what did you do to your Dino today?

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: So what did you do to your Dino today?

Post by doublegarage »

Today (actually all last week) I welded up the passenger floor of my 2400 Coupe. The rot was pretty bad - and had got into the box section that runs diagonally under the floor. This was all underneath the sound-deadening material attached to the underside - this stuff must have got wet, retained the moisture and rusted out the sheetmetal beneath - all when this car lived in worse climates (central Canada).

-Richard

Big hole from underneath - also some nasty rust in the box section that runs under the floor
Big hole from underneath - also some nasty rust in the box section that runs under the floor
cut out all the bad metal - welded in some backers to replace the lower edges of the transmission tunnel that used to support the floor-edges
cut out all the bad metal - welded in some backers to replace the lower edges of the transmission tunnel that used to support the floor-edges
Made a patch and welded it in.  It didn't go that well, difficult to weld 40+ year old degraded steel - but good enough - seam sealer covers the worst in this picture
Made a patch and welded it in. It didn't go that well, difficult to weld 40+ year old degraded steel - but good enough - seam sealer covers the worst in this picture
Then had to replace the rubbery stuff that's bonded to the inside surface of the floor - some sort of bitumen/rubber/tar, needs heat gun and scraper to remove - stinks when you weld near it
Then had to replace the rubbery stuff that's bonded to the inside surface of the floor - some sort of bitumen/rubber/tar, needs heat gun and scraper to remove - stinks when you weld near it
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Today I removed, cleaned, polished, painted and changed bushes to the vacuum pump and pressure swith, and in the way, I managed to break one stud in the strut plate while removing the pump. Made a quick fix drilling, tapping and bolting another stud. I also changed all the door rubbers for a new ones (only one today)
I also changed the oil and filter, changed fuel hoses to to the carbs, done a bit of cleaning in the engine compartment.. Plenty of work. And muuuuch more to be done, only to put it on the street.
Thes week I have also changed both exhausts, fixed the wippers issue (they did not return to the stop position) by bolting to the plate a microswith, as the original system was completely destroyed... Slowly moving forward. Next week I want to start, adjust timing ignition, adjust CO, fit the new plugs, airbox and new air filter, and finally drive it (Really short trip, it is not registered yet)

Regards..
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Today, after seven months of standstill, I've checked oil and spark plugs, connected the battery and started the engine. It too thrre or four seconds until it was running. After a few minutes, I drove to the gas station for checking tire pressure. The engine was running perfectly. Now, it will get a little service with changing the fluids.
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Timing fine adjusted. Mixture adjusted. I used two colortune plugs at the same time, just to save time. It made a great difference, unbelieveble. Starts instant, idles rythmically, no puffs or poffs, clean acceleration. And the left bank has stopped smoking.. I really need to drive this car!!
iceblue
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by iceblue »

I added my shock plates, windows, trims and electrical light in the engine.
Moving along with my restoration.
Attachments
IMG_4814.jpg
IMG_5124.jpg
IMG_5087.jpg
IMG_5118.jpg
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Gbox oil changed (tutela GL4). Front left calipper overhauled, new hoses fitted, circuit bleeded. Brakes are now finished. New window channel rubbers need mods, even being purchased as originals. Front shocks down in pieces, trying to find the viscosity of the oil inside (fiat S.A.I).
Tomorrow more window channels, wheels on and perhaps some work on the interior..
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

New fromnt shocks fitted. Rims resprayed. Got some new window scrappers still to be mounted..

Slowly going ahead.
Jammer55
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Jammer55 »

I think this topic has been discussed in the past, but I'm curious as to the exact color code or close after market color of the wheels. I know Eastwood makes a silver / gray wheel kit. Just curious as to the color you choose for your wheels.

Thanks
Tom
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Jammer55 wrote:I think this topic has been discussed in the past, but I'm curious as to the exact color code or close after market color of the wheels. I know Eastwood makes a silver / gray wheel kit. Just curious as to the color you choose for your wheels.

Thanks
Tom

Just followed this link..

I don ot have pictures yet, I have found another problema, left tie rod has given up, so plan is change the complete tie rod set.
Jammer55
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Jammer55 »

Could you please re-post the link. It could be me but it didn't come up.
Thanks
Tom