Dino engine vs Fiat 130 Coupe engine

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

JPohja
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Dino engine vs Fiat 130 Coupe engine

Post by JPohja »

Hello, is there something same in these two engines? Design? I have been told that 130's V6 is based on Dino's V6.
What's the truth?
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: Dino engine vs Fiat 130 Coupe engine

Post by Tobi »

As far as I know, it's only the number of cylinders which they have in common ;)
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Thats exatly my thoughts but I have prove it some how. Cannot use Wikipedia now because it says they are related :(
Peter Tabmow

Post by Peter Tabmow »

I do not think there is any commonality in the two engines technically, but there is a link: I believe the great Aurelio Lampredi adapted the racing Dino engine for the Dino range of road cars and also designed the 3.2 V6 for Fiat.
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

There is a link, Lampredi, yes but different engines! I think 3.2 was the latest version and 2.8 first?
Peter Tabmow

Post by Peter Tabmow »

JPohja wrote:There is a link, Lampredi, yes but different engines! I think 3.2 was the latest version and 2.8 first?
Correct, but I believe the 130 Coupe only ever had the 3.2...
Emanuel H
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Emanuel H »

I once owned a beautiful 130 Coupé, the first thing I had to do was to replace the cam belt. That is already quite a difference to how the cams are driven in the Dino...
Emanuel H
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Emanuel H »

..and to my recollection the 130 V6 has a 60 degree angle, while the Dino has 65 degrees
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

So only really same thing is number of cylinders as before stated ;)
rossnzwpi
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by rossnzwpi »

If I recall correctly Mike Morris comments on the similarities in his book. FIAT, when undertaking the joint Dino project would have liked to incorporate some of their modern engine ideas such as shim-over-bucket cam followers & belt cam drive but Enzo insisted on race-proven conservative design. FIAT designed their own V6 (the 130) at the same time, unconstrained by the need to race it and choosing parameters more suited to a luxury GT. The cylinder banks could be at the more logical 60 degrees and the block made from prosaic cast iron. A single carburettor would suffice as well as a single cam per bank. The rev limit need not be as high with the balance shifted to even spread of torque rather than high end power. Most 130s were automatics and did not have LSD diffs although some were fitted with the ZF 5 speed. I also remember reading about the 130 V6 being used in a racing X1/9.
cheers
Ross (in NZ)