Dutch 2.4 Spider

Discussions and Socializing

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: New member introduction

Post by HugoHarris »

Tim, on the subject of switch bezels, there are a couple of suppliers purporting to sell replacement chrome bezels for Dinos, but I don't know whether they are correct for the 2.4 Spider:

http://www.autostoria.fr/en/indicators/ ... dino-.html

http://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-10243- ... e-nos.aspx
2400 Spider #1364
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Hi Hugo, thanks I know of those. Unfortunately those are not correct for a Spider as the edges are rounded of. They are the same as the 124 Spider and others use.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Bit of an update;

We got the carbs all rebuilt, but are now dealing with a severe fuel leak coming from the middle carb (more detail in the technical section of the forum). We did get the carbs to look great though :lol: . Also had a new throttle shaft (running along the firewall) made and installed new bushes.

They went from looking like this:

Via:

To this:

So at least it looks good while I'm frustrated with it...
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Wow! Beautiful carbs!
2400 Spider #1364
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Thanks Hugo! If only they would work correctly...

I forgot to mention that before the middle carburator decided it didn't like having fuel in it, the alternator caught fire due to the chain tensioner leaking. So we had that rebuild and installed the drip that's available from DinoParts. Yep, it hasn't really been smooth sailing so far.

We were also able to buy some parts; a pair of horns with a compressor (correct tipo 2000) - among other things - from @Alfredino and a choke cable mounting bracket for on the air filter housing from @Georg. Both were excellent to deal with and all the parts arrived safely :)

The bracket will go on when the carb problem is solved and we mount the air filter again. The horns will need a restoration, which isn't a priority at the moment obviously.
Last edited by Scalino on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

So, a small update. Unfortunately, yet more issues. We’ve had the lead plugs replaced (Bart did an excellent job; https://nl-nl.facebook.com/Nose2TailCCE/). While the carbs were there Bart asked whether we would like them wet blasted, since he was going there anyway. Well, we couldn’t say no to that. They really look like new (in- and outside), maybe even better than new. Bart also skimmed them, as often the ‘ears’ of the carbs are bent due to overtightening (which was the case), which can cause false air to enter.

With that all done, we put them back together. We were all ready to put them back on the car, only to find a quite severe coolant leak. It turns out the pipe running under the carburetors to the heater is cracked on the underside. We noticed coolant when removing the carbs, thought it could be either a spill (unlikely) or and old leak (possible, since the thermostat housing was replaced, without taking the carbs of). We cleaned it up, forgot about it and then some swearing occurred when we wanted to install the carburetors.
The conclusion is we have to replace the pipe. Fortunately, both Dinoparts and Superformance sell them. However, Dinoparts asks nearly two hundred euros for the one needed and Superformance currently doesn’t have them available. We will pull the line when we have the time and see whether we either make it ourselves or have it remade, because I simply refuse to pay two hundred euros for a – quite simple – coolant pipe. Maybe I’m being optimistic about the R&D/manufacturing costs, but two hundred euros?! Sorry, bit of frustration ;)

While looking at how we are going to remove the line, we noticed the radiator drain is above the chassis beam and electrical wires. Who the hell designed that? Or the location isn’t original, but I think it is the original radiator, just with a new core.

I’ll update when we have the line of, hopefully this weekend. I had planned to do some work on my Alfa, but alas I want this done first. It has taken way too much time already.

At least the carbs look even better now!
Attachments
IMG_5169.JPG
IMG_5158.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5135.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Luis A »

Those carbs look gorgeous! Hopefully you can find a reasonable alternative to the pricey pipe.
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Alright, it all took way longer than it was supposed to, but there is progress. It isn't pretty put the pipe is fixed temporarily. We also disconnected the heater as the pipes than stick through the firewall are so rusted parts broke of. We used some coolant line to connect the two pipes together.

We started it two weeks ago and fuel poured out of the front carb behind the choke cover, so of it went again... Took it apart (choke etc.), nothing to see. So back on to check the fuel pressure. We just checked it, fired up right away and the fuel pressure exactly on point and no leaking carb... Well sort of, the middle one weeps from the top cover, put not pouring out. I just don't get it, it just doesn't want to not leak at all. :evil: But at least it's running without mayor leaks, we'll see this weekend wether we can fix the leak and tune it because it's way of at the moment.

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Did you also replace the needle valves and if yes do you know for sure if they are original quality weber needle valves?
I had the same problems, rebuild my carbs completely but could not get them free of leaks no matter what. In the end it turned out that the rebuild kits included needle valves from inferior quality, replaced them with original weber valves and all sorted, no leaks ever again.
I included a picture where you can clearly see the diffence in surface finish of good and bad quality needle valves. The one on the right has a mirror smooth finish where the one on the left looks questionable.
(don't pay to much attention to the different sizes of the needle jets, they are for different carbs but it's just to show the difference in quality)
20180502_203349.jpg
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

Hi Stefan, that's an excellent suggestion. Yes, we did replace the needle valves from a rebuilt kit we already have, of which I don't know the quality. I have a another rebuilt kit as well, so I'll check both and the ones that came out.

We did check the needle valve when we had the leaking offender off. When closed no air would be allowed through way above the supposed fuel pressure. Though that one is now leak free, so that adds up.

I'll check and report back this weekend!