Moderators: Philt68, doublegarage

Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Fiat Dino chassis number

Post by Tobi » Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:20 am

Dinoswede wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 am
I remember that he was concerned over some printing errors in his book, as he never was able taking part in the proof-reading,
before the book was printed. It is probably the publisher of the book that made these errors concerning the number of zeros
before the serial numbers, at page 118.
Dinoswede
Occam's razor says: "the simplest explanation is usually the right one"

Vravolta
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Fiat Dino chassis number

Post by Vravolta » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:28 pm

Dinoswede wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:41 am
All Fiat Dino chassis number plates should show the "seven-digit number", following the FIAT "chassis number plate standard"
of the period.
As already suggested, the reason for using a long line of zeros before the actual chassis number must be to prevent any kind
of tampering with the identity. If your Dino is numbered e.g. 135 AC 000 0025, your actual chassis number is 25, not 000 0025
or 00 0025, but all these zeros need to be there, to secure your Dino´s identity.

Mike Morris and I wrote many letters to each other during the eighties´, always discussing Fiat Dinos. If anybody (at the time)
knew how the chassis number plates should look, I am convinced Mike did.
I remember that he was concerned over some printing errors in his book, as he never was able taking part in the proof-reading,
before the book was printed. It is probably the publisher of the book that made these errors concerning the number of zeros
before the serial numbers, at page 118.

Dinoswede
That’s what I was thinking and was my understanding. It’s also the only way to make it compatible with the standard length VIN we have in Europe => a big thank you!