which Tyres / Tires ?

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

vlad
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

which Tyres / Tires ?

Post by vlad »

Hi, nearing the end my resto, I have a set of the original mag. Crommodora wheels which if I use will need new rubber as the tyres are 20+ years old.

Currently the car is on 16" Crommadora repos from Superformance and running slightly wider modern low profile rubber.

I am thinking of going back to the original 14" either my originals or I may get a set of the Campagnola repos.

In either case I'll need some new tyres (I'm in the UK :)

What tyres do you guys run ?

PIRELLI 205/70VR14 CINTURATO ™ CN36 or the Michelin XWX 205/70 VR 14 they both seem to be around the same price.

Or are there other better options ?
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: which Tyres / Tires ?

Post by Tobi »

[quote="vlad"]PIRELLI 205/70VR14 CINTURATO ™ CN36 or the Michelin XWX 205/70 VR 14 they both seem to be around the same price.

Or are there other better options ?[/quote]
There are no better options. Both are good. XWX look better.
vlad

Post by vlad »

Wouldn't the more modern low profile rubber be better? At clearing water, lateral grip, safer stopping etc...?

Or perhaps the remade XWX and Cinturatos incorporate new technology - they just look old ? (have the same tread pattern?) I'd certainly like to think for the price they charge we are not getting 50 year old tech..!!
Ribolla_67

Post by Ribolla_67 »

I have both tyres - the XWX looks nice, driving is ok, good on dry roads, not so good in the wet.
Many XWX's have problems with balancing and concentricity, they may cause serious vibrations. My tyre dealer almost refused to put them on my Jaguar.
The CN 36 is great on all conditions, and this was the original equipment specially developed for the Fiat Dino 2400. Performance is like a modern tyre - tested by a german magazine. 36 m stopping distance from 100 kmph to 0.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

I have a set of CN36 on an Alfa Romeo GTV (185/70-14) - they completely transformed the handling of that car - better grip, easier steering (as though it suddenly had power steering), sharper turn in, more confidence etc. I highly recommend them and need to buy a set for my Dino Coupe (currently on Vredesteins).

Interesting to read the Longstone Tyres history of the CN36 and how they were basically developed for Dino cars. I've never owned XWX tyres but I did hear the fitment/balancing stories when I owned a Maserati. I would always go with Pirelli.

-Richard
vlad

Post by vlad »

Hi, thanks for your replies, am going to try the CN 36 on new 14 Rims.

Cheers,
Amir Neyestani
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Amir Neyestani »

Hi there,

I’m new to this forum and just completing a purchase on a 2000 spider. I will need new tires and was reading that the 2000 came with 185s as opposed to the 2400 that came with 205s.

The car presently has a set of old 205s. I was reading that the 205s may be a tight fit on the 2000.

Is the geometry on the 2400 different to allow the wider tires or can I go ahead and put 205s on the 2000 without concern of rubbing?

Appreciate any help!

Best,

Amir
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

If it were me I would go with the original fitment size (185) - I have no idea whether the 205s would rub, but it's certainly a risk.

As stated above Pirelli CN36 highly recommended but I have no experience with XWX - they both look great on the cars.

-Richard
1967spider

Post by 1967spider »

I have a 67 spider #282 and my friend also has a 67 #323. We both have 205s on our car and we are not experiencing any rubbing. They look and fill the wheel wells better than 185.
Amir Neyestani

Post by Amir Neyestani »

Thanks guys. I went with the 205s on the advice of the previous owner who is also my mechanic. Looking forward to getting the car soon!