New Member questions

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

ABCar
Dino: No Dino (yet)

New Member questions

Post by ABCar »

I am coming over from the Porsche World. I don't speak Italian yet so I thought I would ask those here for some guidance.

I am interested in a Dino Coupe...2.0 or 2.4.

I know they are hard to find, but if I were to come across one that is well cared for and not in need of restoration what is the market value, give or take?
I find these cars beautiful and wonder how I went so many years looking at cars of all kinds and missed this one.

In any case, this is my first post but hope to join in as an owner, sometime.
Thank you,

Andy, Kalamazoo, MIABCar

Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: New Member questions

Post by Tobi »

Hi Andy,
This is hard to figure since it is a very tight market, There is no big turnover of these cars. I'm not sure about the US market, but usually EUR (in Europe) and USD prices (in the US) are pretty close. So, you might get a drivable car for 10000 and you may spend up to 40000 for a perfect one. Just follow the few offerings, but be aware that asking and selling prices are often far away from the other. You should be able to get a good car that can also be driven daily for 20000 - 30000 USD.
I hope you'll find a good Dino soon.
Regards,
Tobi
The Dutch Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by The Dutch Dino »

+1 on what Tobi said.
It is very much dependent on the car, the seller and on what you want to pay.
It is a niche market so statistics don't mean a lot.
The Dino coupe that just went at auction in the US for 55k$ is I think crazy money as it was not highly original. As crazy as the 100+k$ for the Montreal at that same auction. Those can be had for 30-40k$ also.
You certainly can get lucky if the seller wants to get rid of it and you're not afraid to take a chance. My first car was cheap and the issues turned out to be simple to fix: grinding diff was the wrong oil instead of worn hardware... And a rough running engine was fixed with resetting the timing and replacing the electronic ignition box. The paint came out nicely with a good cut and buff ( not perfect but good enough for me as a driver's car).
But it could have turned out differently ( searching for an unobtainable diff, rebuilding an expensive engine, respraying the car...) just saying.
If you're a bit handy, spot a non perfect car, and help the previous owner out of it...
For a nice driver or original or restored car, it is what Tobi said.
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
Emanuel H
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Emanuel H »

There is a 2000 coupe being auctioned in the UK. Looks great and seems to be in good shape. Silverstoneauctions.com
ABCar

Post by ABCar »

Thanks for the replies. I will keep my eyes open, as well as my mind.

Andy
fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by fdus172 »

Just like the Porsche world, there is an incredibly wide range of starting modes. Currently Hemmings shows two coupes - $11,750 for a 2.0 in California that's been sitting for a long time, needing restoration, but the engine turns by hand (although this likely means that it will still need a rebuild). So this might be a good one if you're into a project - just make sure that all the small bits are still in the car. Then there's a 2.4 in Virginia for $36,000 - mechanically restored, which probably means it needs paint and perhaps interior work, but might be a great driver.

These kind of offerings are typical for the states... it all depends on where you want to start.

Rick Wohleber
Dublin, Ohio
'67 2.0 coupe ( still in restoration mode)
ABCar

Post by ABCar »

Rick, just curious, where is the one in VA?
Thanks,

AB
fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by fdus172 »

ABCar

Post by ABCar »

Thanks.