Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

AndrewMcCrae
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

IMG_20210227_185642.jpg
Well the distributor is back together. I drew and printed a disc similar to those used by some on the Ferrari forum. Disc with 6 points and showing 10 deg advance. Attaching a wooden skewer to the rotor I manually adjusted the new points so that a multimeter detected that the points opened and closed at 10 degrees on all 6 points.
Reinstalling the points I aligned the dissie by again using the meter to detect the points opening when the drive pulley was at the advance timing mark.
Last edited by AndrewMcCrae on Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Number 1 (1 & 4) distributor had the starter valve lever stuck. Now, it wasn't connected to the choke cable but as I wasn't sure what the problem was, I removed the carb and starter valve cover. One of the valves was seized closed meaning mixture unaffected but brute force got it to open and smoothing with 1000 grit, lubing with sewing machine lube and many times pushing it up and down and rotating got both valves moving smoothly.
I didn't adjust anything which I came to question later.
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Having reassembled everything although I have no air filter element the car starts easily and revs well. However when I try to drive it and accelerate the car dies as if flooding and just does not drive at all well. Plugs are now all sparking, none are wet but they are all black and sooty. I don't know if air filter affects this but this is the next investigation after I manage to get an Air Filter. Impossible to get parts, even as simple as a filter in Ireland. one Italian supplier looking for €35 to post an air filter to me.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on the poor running and perhaps where might I get an air filter.
AndrewMcCrae

S2Re: Blue Sera 2000 Coupe Adventure

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

I know that I'm asking all the questions still but hopefully as I get to grips with my Dino I'll be able to reduce my guilt and start answering questions. So while my coupe is apart I am inviting anyone to ask me questions that can be better answered on a shell and not a completely assembled car. Finally got to get the boxes that Mark included unpacked as first nice day this year.

The rubbers I've no idea but I bought door aperture rubbers from Cincognani as Mark said they were only thing needed so I should be able to work out rubbers
IMG_20210307_123941_compress12.jpg

I can't understand which is the ss trim around the door card apart from the bent one at the front of the doors. Can somebody point out which goes at bottom of door card and back edge of door card please?

Also I assume the single stainless edge piece is not side related as there is only one but not sure what this is either?
IMG_20210307_124857_compress44.jpg
IMG_20210307_123930_compress15.jpg
IMG_20210307_124417_compress83.jpg
IMG_20210307_123941_compress12.jpg
And finally I have 6 strips that resemble the strips on my old 105 for attaching the door rubbers but no idea where these go? Is 3 each side correct?

I've the carbs apart so that's my after dark job. Just beautiful weather in Dublin today and had to take advantage.

And apologies still trying to work out how to best attach /insert photos. Cheers Andrew
Attachments
IMG_20210307_123905_compress52.jpg
IMG_20210307_123930_compress15.jpg
IMG_20210307_123917_compress97.jpg
IMG_20210307_124835_compress56.jpg
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

It looks like I have all the stainless steel but the stainless steel edge trim I have no idea on.
Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

You are making swift progress it seems!

I’m afraid I’m not of much use in what goes where on a coupe. Regarding the running issue; is this mainly/only when accelerating (hard) or also when going a constant/slowly gaining speed?

Have you checked fuel pressure and whether all jets are clear?
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

I've only driven about 100m and it was mai ly when accelerating from slow, seemed to improve which appears to point to idle jet.

My last post was just whilst stationary but at temperature. All three carbs working but linkage off. Idling at about 900. Balance on the STE meter very close. On carb 1 it just seemed to kill cyl 1+4 as soon as I tried to accelerate the engine. No obvious backfiring or spitting.

I've removed everything now to fully disassemble and check all the channels and jets. Better to be sure because then I'll know.
doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by doublegarage »

Hi Andrew,

This is Richard - I just replied to you on AlfaBB but I suppose it might be better to continue the conversation here? Your car looks great in the pics, really like that colour.

I've also had some recent troubles with stainless trim pieces so I might be able to help with that too.

best,

-Richard
doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by doublegarage »

Andrew,

You were asking about how the heated rear window wiring is attached to the rear screen:

I've tried taking pictures but the area is so small I can't get a good angle from inside the boot or down through the glass. I'll try to explain as best I can, again with the caveat that mine doesn't work.

- In the boot there is a black wire that runs along the 'ceiling' of the left side, from the firewall towards the left hinge
- Another black wire joins it there, which goes to a grounding stud on the bracket for the left hinge
- Then both wires go through a gap between the rear lip of the parcel shelf and the sheetmetal that forms the base of the rear windscreen
- The HRW traces are on the inside, there should be tabs (0.25"/6.3mm) attached to the traces somewhere in that lower left corner. These two wires connect to those tabs. The tabs are located so that they protrude from the windscreen seal.

So I think if you look carefully vertically down into the bottom left corner of a rear windcsreen, looking down on that corner of the parcel shelf, you'd see the two tabs and some wires which snake under the parcel shelf. Busted on mine so I can't picture it for you.

-Richard
AndrewMcCrae

Post by AndrewMcCrae »

Thanks Richard, so it seems that the grounding and the feed is on the left side. That is not what I expected. And the wiring diagrams show brown colour wires (2000) not black.

I have a brown wire with female spade on the left and this is taped to the boot light switch wire ao that matches. (the location of that switch is another no idea item). I don't have any ground stud though. I had assumed the ground stud would probably be on the right but Italian cars don't always make sense to me. A picture of the ground stud would be nice if you can get your cell phone in. Also is the wire in front of the headlining?

FYI for the window I got some copper tape (not self adhesive as I couldn't get any). I found the window silvering was impossible (for me) to solder to so I put about 40mm of this tape and after tinning to silver it I dragged the solder onto the original window silvering which gives a resistance so I assume will function. I then soldered a new wire to the middle of the copper tape. Unfortunately I didn't have super flexible wire like the left side so had to use normal auto wire.

Thanks again Richard.