Dino Spider Restoration

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Dino Spider Restoration

Post by Tobi »

Dinoswede is correct. You can see the function from the wiring diagram. The pressure switch is NC (normally closed) and so is the relay. Sufficient oil pressure opens the switch and de-energises the relay to supply the fuel pump. With ignition on and engine off, the fuel pump will only be supplied by ignition switch contact 15 (azzurro-nero/blue-black). This contact should supply the pump only in a key position just before cranking, not in normal ignition ON position. I found out that this is wrong on many Dinos where the fuel pump is already supplied with ignition ON. However, this would render the security function of the pressure switch and relay useless.
Regarding the relay, the original relay and most of the aftermarket relays are changeover relays - so the function depends on the contacts (NC or NO) you connect.
iceblue
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by iceblue »

Tobi your work is awesome.
Thank you thank you thank for the color code.
Yes you are right my graph is a bit squeezed, but that I had to incorporate the English words next to the graph and Fedex could not go much larger than 42" x 42" inches :)
Now back to the shop to sort out the minor issues.....

This car is amazing!
Thank god I purchased it when I did. I love it

Olivier
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

Made some progress in isolating some areas where I could perform some vacuum test on parts of the lines.
I disconnected parts the lines and made sure that my clamps were nice and tight. I manage to hold a 15 lbs of pressure from the pump to the tank.
I then test the line a the banjo fitting near the firewall to the brake booster. I then noticed that our new vacuum reinforced stainless steel hose from supplied by superformance did not have a perfect clamping at either ends.
I got larger clamps and heavy duty seal silicone to help close any potential gaps.

I decided to take apart the vacuum pump.
Replace the de motor seal 1022 " 10 MM inner diameter 22 MM outer diameter.
Here are some pictures. of the impellers, have a look at the position of the offset and the 4 extendable rubber impellers.
Pretty cool, high speed spin sucking air out of one hose and expelling it out into another hole.

It is very important to place this pump at an angle so that no OIL will back flow into the vacuum lines.
Attachments
IMG_6144.jpg
IMG_6137.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg
Guzzi

Re: Dino Spider Restoration - slightly OT

Post by Guzzi »

Not wishing to hijack the thread (but doing so) the Arnott (centrifugal) supercharger also works on this principle, except in reverse.

Anorak trivia warning: on a related theme, the rotary engine (as used by NSU, Mazda, Citroen etc) started life as a supercharger on pre-WW2 NSU speed record motorcycles
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

Hey guys, I am sorry to post so many time to the board.

I have found the problem why my vacuum pump was always running at soon as I turned my key.

It just so happened that I used a SIPEA 5230 for my vacuum pump ( closed terminal ) just like the rest of the car.
Bad idea! The pump was constantly running!

I have been chasing wires for two days thinking I had a short in my wires. Comes to find out by opening old relay's that came off the car, I noticed one with open terminal!

I think it had a lid SIPEA 5170 ( open terminal ) but I am not 100% sure as the box is badly corroded.

I am running the car now with a BOSH open terminal and everything is running as is should.

Can anyone tell me if the FIAT DINO SPIDER 2.4 or 2.0 used any other opened relays?

I think I have the car pretty buttoned up but I don't want to overlook anything.
Attachments
IMG_6149.JPG
IMG_6148.JPG
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

iceblue wrote:Can anyone tell me if the FIAT DINO SPIDER 2.4 or 2.0 used any other opened relays?
According to the wiring diagram, relays 15 and 32 (horns and headlights) are also normally open (NO).
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

Here is what I found.

OPEN Sipea Relay 5170 / 7810 / WEPOO 90000

#14 (radiator fan)
Located: Driver side bottom relay

#35 ( lights )

Under the dash
#42 ( vac pump / brake booster )
Located: Passenger side fender

Different relay ?
27 ( horns ) three prong
Located: front passenger fender corner.

Sipea 5230 Closed
#33 ( fuel pump )
Located: Under the dash

#34 ( alternator )
Located: Front driver fender Top relay

#32 ( blinker )
Located: Under the dash cylindrical aluminum tube
Attachments
IMG_6157.jpg
IMG_6156.jpg
IMG_6154.jpg
IMG_6153.jpg
IMG_6152.jpg
IMG_6151.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

The numbers do not correspond to my wiring diagram. However, the information is correct.
It is very easy to read the information for every relay or switch (NO or NC) from the diagram. The mechanics, contacts and coil inside the relays are clearly shown in the diagram.
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

I got my car home late Thursday.
Within minutes, I had to drive it up and down my street. No seats not interior.....
I had to drive it! I had to hear and feel frist hand.
OMG this car is full of life. That little V6 is impressive.

I also had to try my recently purchased Pininfarina top.... It fits like perfectly.
Attachments
IMG_6197.jpg
IMG_6196.jpg
IMG_6194.jpg
IMG_6191.jpg
IMG_6189.jpg
iceblue

Post by iceblue »

I noticed that my drive shaft of stamped with a number. Still retains its original dark green color.
Attachments
IMG_6945.JPG