Might be getting a 1967 2.0 Coupe

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Andy W
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Might be getting a 1967 2.0 Coupe

Post by Andy W »

Hi all this is my first time on here and know of a 2.0 coupe. What i want to know is what to look for on the body and checks that can be made to the engine. I know its asking you to plat fog but just some info to point me in the right ditection. I know the car has had some money thrown at it and a hinge repair to the boot lid ( witch involved taking the rear screen out ) also new Distributor cap and arm firres along with a new thermostat housing. New wheel bearing fitted and a new exhaust. Was told the waterpump is growling.

Andy W
Andy W

Re: Might be getting a 1967 2.0 Coupe

Post by Andy W »

Went to look at her Mmmmmmmmmmmmm what to do ????????????????????
rossnzwpi

Post by rossnzwpi »

Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. I knew I'd seen a buyer's guide somewhere and found a link to it here (in English):

http://www.dinoparts.de/uploads/PDF/fia ... ung_en.pdf

Cheers
Ross in NZ
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing nothing but reading up on these cars :D Looking at her my head says no but my heart says yes. You don't come across then in the U/K like the condition she is in. She was imported from Italy some years ago and not registered in this country yet.

Andy W
ebrown5686
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi Andy,
I think most of us have been there before, and I'm sure you know this is absolutely the time to stay cool, calm and collected. I'd strongly suggest a thorough PPI at the best shop you can find, which should as a minimum include a thorough search for rust on and off a lift...maybe pull one of the door panels too and take a look. Also a pro leak-down test would be good if at all possible, and it should be. Make sure EVERYTHING works. If you are not good at auto DYI, try to get a realistic estimate of needed repairs, and at least it will all pay for itself by helping you with negotiations, and most important it could save you from a nightmare. It would be an exceptional car if doesn't need something, or 7 somethings!
Was the extensive repair to the boot lid a rust-related issue? If so, proceed with extreme caution!
It's a cliché to say "buy the best car you can", but I think it's true in this case. It's not the only one out there, but you might need to travel.
Keep looking if your objective side is telling you to! I wish you the best of luck on this venture. These are great old cars!
Best regards,
Ed Brown
Spider 2400 #1396
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Andy, if you're in the UK contact Mark Devaney at http://www.dinouk.com, he knows them better than nearly anyone.

Proceed with caution, especially with the Coupé whose values, unlike the Spider, do not yet make extensive repairs worthwhile.

If you really, really must have one I do know where there's a good 2.4 Coupé in the UK but I'll need to check whether it's for sale. If you want, PM me with your wish list and budget and I'll see what I can do to help

Peter
Andy W

Post by Andy W »

Thanks for all the reply's. I used to be a mechanic so am not afraid to do a bit of work on them. The underside is like new its just corrosion around the rear window also the battery box has bean replaced and the front screen has to come out because of corrosion on the front scuttle.

Andy W