Concorso Italiano

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

ebrown5686
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Concorso Italiano

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hello all!
I am curious about whether there were any of our group, or any Fiat Dino's were at the Concorso this year. If anyone has any pictures of Dino's or any other cars, or has any good stories, I'd love to see and hear them.
Thanks,
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
Dinofanwim
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Concorso Italiano

Post by Dinofanwim »

Hey Ed,

I am a great Dino lover and have opinions about it which are rather different from all publications that have been made all over the world. Why have people abandoned the make Dino and bit by bit have transformed the 206 and 246 into a Ferrari Dino and even stuck Ferrari stickers and prancing horses on it????. That is total disrespect towards the wish of Enzo Ferrari to have a brand called "Dino" in memory of his son! For that reason I started to write a book about it and hope I will find the time to finish it.
When I was 19 years old I was following an automobile education (Chelsea college of aeronautical and automobile engineering where I had some famous fellow students like Tony Dron, etc.) and carried on bothering my Father to get the Dino coupé which design IMHO is far more attractve than the Spider. (Sorry, but this my own opinion, but I always respect the opinion of others!) (Coachbuilder Bertone but designed by Giugiaro, who also created such iconic cars like the 250GT SWB, BMW 3200 CS, Alfa 2600 Sprint, DeLorean etc. from the time he worked at Bertone, but also later on with his own company Italdesign!)
And yes, he got a beautifull non/metallic blue 2.0 l Coupe, which must have been one of the very first ones that has been imported in The Netherlands. ( only 21 were officially imported in our country) Several months after delivery the Dinoplex ignition was fitted as an factory upgrade! (Hey, what about 10.000 rpm for a road going Gran Tourismo at the end of the sixties???)
Now i got a 2.0 l and 2.4 l. My intention is to restore the 2.0 l in its original condition. The 2.4 l I intend to change and improve according to my own views. (Slight body and interior alterations and tuning of the engine in order to obtain something in the region of 245 BHP on the rear wheels) The 2.4 l should sound a bit like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2OlsCu1tfc (Don't forget to put your headphones on in order to get a good impression of the sound)
You can see some of the work which has been carried out by me but I am loosing a bit of time with organizing my toolshed and I also don't know yet what to do with the 1931 Mathis! (I sometimes have a tendency to do a bit too much :lol:
You can also have a look at my FB in order to find out a bit more about me. :roll:
Kind regards,
Wim
Attachments
IMG_0207.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0163bvis.jpg
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".

doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Hello Ed.

No, sadly there was not one single Fiat Dino at the Concorso this year. I took a different car myself this year so cannot complain. I think it was 2 years ago that there were 3 of us there, my Coupe and 2 Spiders, parked next to a nice Fiat 130 - that was the best turn out I've ever seen there.

There must be many within driving distance of Monterey - maybe we should organize a meeting there one year.

-Richard
ebrown5686
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hello Wim and Richard,
Good to hear from you guys. Wim, you have some great ideas and a couple of cars that have a great potential. Love the grey/red car! I sometimes think the coupes really ace out the spiders in the variety and beauty of colors offered, both inside and out. I love red upholstery.
Richard, I bet you went to the Concorso 7-8 years ago when it was "The Year of the Dino"....rows of 246's and a nice showing of Fiat Dino's. I know our forum has a number of great cars, and maybe another strong showing at the Concorso next year would be something we could coordinate. I'd love to see some of our cars out on the grass in all their steel and aluminum glory, and maybe we could take a drive together.
Just out of curiosity, Richard....what DID you drive to the Concorso this year?
Thanks,
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Hi Ed,

sorry, I missed your reply and didn't answer your question. This year I drove my Maserati Ghibli and my wife took the Alfa Giulia Super - we hung out at the excellent Alfa Romeo booth (showing Maserati and the others how to do "hospitality") and we were all very happy.

-Richard