Wheels - "Dino" or "FIAT"?

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Wheels - "Dino" or "FIAT"?

Post by HugoHarris »

Hi, I have 2 questions about wheels. When I bought my 1971 Spider last year it came wearing a set of beautifully restored "original" wheels. But 4 of them have the "Dino" script on the rim and one has "FIAT". Is it possible that the "Dino" rims are original given this is a 2.4 car made on the same production line as the Ferrari, or is there a 246GT running around somewhere with "FIAT" wheels?

I am considering buying reproduction wheels from Superformance for use on the road. Does any one have any experience of these, and is the rim script Dino or FIAT?
Last edited by HugoHarris on Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2400 Spider #1364
beebee246

Re: Wheels - "Dino" or "FIAT"?

Post by beebee246 »

Hugo,
I don't think there is a set rule on whether the 2400 series cars received FIAT or DINO wheels at the factory, but the DINO wheels are highly sought after by 246GT/S owners who prefer not to have FIAT on their cars!
In regard to the Superformance repro wheels, I use the 16" x 6.5" version and I'm very pleased with them. They have no scriot on the rim, neither FIAT nor DINO,
Regards, Brian Boxall BS1319 / 1470
HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

Thanks very much Brian, really helpful response.
2400 Spider #1364
bertjones
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by bertjones »

Brian,

With the larger diameter wheels on your car, would you be able to post a table showing road speed in either kph or mph versus engine rpm in fifth gear. Since the optional o.74 overdrive gear set is hard to find, using the larger wheels is a easy way to up the highway cruise speed.

Thanks,

Bert Jones
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

As usual in such cases, the outside diameter should not increase significantly. If the rim is two inches more, the tire section will be one inch less.
I've seen the 16 inch wheels once on a Spider. It looks a bit strange to me. I don't like that modern look of low section tires on this car. But this is just my humble opinion.
patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by patrizio »

HugoHarris wrote:Hi, I have 2 questions about wheels. When I bought my 1971 Spider last year it came wearing a set of beautifully restored "original" wheels. But 4 of them have the "Dino" script on the rim and one has "FIAT". Is it possible that the "Dino" rims are original given this is a 2.4 car made on the same production line as the Ferrari, or is there a 246GT running around somewhere with "FIAT" wheels?
Hi Hugo,
I did not know until now the existence of Cromodora wheels branded Dino.
The ones I've seen to date, of Fiat Dino Spider, Fiat Dino Coupe and Dino 246GT, were all marked FIAT.
Recently, an Italian magazine published an article about a Dino 246GT and circles were marked FIAT.
Probably, as rightly says Brian Boxall, the latest 246GT were mounted wheel rims marked Dino, or perhaps after the end of stocks branded FIAT, wheel trim parts were branded Dino for 206 / 246GT and GTS ...
Surely I am correct in saying that a Fiat Dino 2400 is unlikely to be out of the factory with the wheel rims marked Dino.

it is possible that the original wheels rim of the car is the one branded FIAT (probably the spare tire in the trunk) and the other four have been recovered.
patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by patrizio »

Tobi wrote:It looks a bit strange to me. I don't like that modern look of low section tires on this car. But this is just my humble opinion.
About the originality of the car, I think as Tobi, but that's not the problem IMHO.
I have no idea what the laws in your countries provide, but in Italy, if you use tires with size differing from those set by FIAT on approval certificate, and you should happen an accident, the insurance does not pay :roll:
I think this law is in force in all European countries ...
... then the problem of the 16" wheels I think it's easily solved if one wants to drive quite and peaceful ;)
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

It should be possible to get an approval for the 16 inch rims. It is important that the overall diameter does not change significantly. That's why the tire sections decrease when bigger rims are used - also for modern cars.
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

bertjones wrote:Brian,

With the larger diameter wheels on your car, would you be able to post a table showing road speed in either kph or mph versus engine rpm in fifth gear. Since the optional o.74 overdrive gear set is hard to find, using the larger wheels is a easy way to up the highway cruise speed.

Thanks,

Bert Jones
Hi Bert,
I may be able to do as you ask when I have the car back on the road from it's bare metal re-paint. At present there is one large piece and 500 small pieces that aren't attached to the large piece!
In regard to the long 5th gear, I'm sure that the longer gear is 0.795, not 0.74. The standard gear is 0.874. The longer 5th gear gives a 9% reduction in revs. I have had a long 5th fitted to 2 of my previous Dino's, and I like the more relaxed cruising this gear gives.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

I've asked Matthias, the No.1 Dino information source (http://www.dino-book.com/). He said all Fiats had FIAT rims. All 246s also until Fiat finished to produce Dinos in early 72. From then, the 246s got DINO rims.