What will our cars be worth in 2020

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

iceblue
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

What will our cars be worth in 2020

Post by iceblue »

I have been watching the car market for years now and some cars have taken expensive to a new level.
Our dinos are being restored worldwide as we speak and this leads to how much will our cars be worth.

It's a prediction that is worth looking into.

Here are my predictions

Year 2020

Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider
350,000 USD

Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider
275,000 USD

Fiat Dino Coupe
160,000 USD

What does everyone think?
Eric

Re: What will our cars be worth in 2020

Post by Eric »

Interesting topic!

Although the (asking) prices are rising fast, the actual insurance values are still far behind.
Please have a look at this web site;

https://www.hagerty.com/

I did buy the car because I love it, since the date it was launched (1966).

But, you will never know.
Let's hope and pray that is was a good investment too ;-)

regards

Eric
Benz 116 w
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Benz 116 w »

Browsing Autoscout, Trovit or Mobile.de, I think 2.4 Spiders will reach Ferrari Dino prices as they are virtually the same but substantially fewer. The 2.0 Spiders would follow suit at about 80%, while the Coupes at about 50% for the larger and 40% for the smaller motorized versions. People are just realizing, that the number of remaining Dino Coupes are much lower than the original production numbers making them unique and very rare cars. Just have a look at our Forum, where the Coupe 2.0's are in minority. An other interesting aspect is the new demand coming from China, Russia and India. A good example is the silver specimen sold from England to Hong Kong during the summer at approx.60.000.- EUR, showing the growing appetite in the East. What I hope to gain from this trend is not financial though, but Superperformance to invest in more spare parts,body panels, letting me to use my auto on the road without further thoughts.

If I wanted money only I would have already put my engine in a Stratos kit car an sold it at 250.000.- EUR:-)
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

I'd think a bit more conservative. Fiat Dinos have been underrated the last years. This is now priced in for the Spiders with their leap beyond the 100k mark. Coupes will follow. It is also important to ignore asking prices and not to put too much importance on a few top auction results when thinking about a current value. I know it's hard to find out what the few sales have resulted, but these are the real figures.
No doubt the prices will still increase, but not that crazy. We can surely be happy that every coin we put into our cars will not be lost and we have a hobby that pays itself (when we sell). However, we won't become rich unless we own our Dinos for more than a decade already.
As an example: I bought my 2400 Coupe for 10k (Euros) in 2007 in good condition with some flaws (a Spider was at 40k this time). Now it's worth around 40k in unchanged condition. This is an increase of 5k/year. I'm sure this will continue and show a price of 60-70k in 5 years. Maybe 100k if the underrating will be priced in. A Spider might raise with 10k/year due to it's higher value.
Dinofanwim

Post by Dinofanwim »

Fiat Dino's will go up in price to levels you pay nowadays for a 206 or 246!

What is interesting, is to see the price difference in between a Spider and a Coupé.
The Spider was initially fitted with poor interior features, something that was rectified afterwards. It had the image of a playboy car! But all the same a beauty of a car!

As for the Coupé, it was a beautiful piece of art, although the 2000 engine was slightly underpowered for this Gran Turismo! it was a true gentlemens car! (I absolutely adore the Giugiaro designs!)
But why was the Coupé produced in larger numbers? The only explanation is that it was better received by potential buyers!

IMHO the Coupé prices will catch up with the Spiders very soon!

I also find it hard to believe what prices are paid nowadays for some cars, like the 911's! To me the 911 is a development of the initial designed VW Beetle by Ferry Porsche!

Btw. A couple of days ago I already saw an asking price for a 2000 Dino Coupé of over 100.000 USD! (And that car had some faults, like Dino signs in the centre of the hubcaps, etc.)
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".

HugoHarris

Post by HugoHarris »

I have noticed a dramatic rise in asking prices for both Spiders and Coupes over the last 18 months. There is a €75K Coupe and numerous €200K+ Spiders in this list. What asking prices translate into when money changes hands is anyone's guess. The most impressive auction results in recent times that I am aware of were €143K for a 2L Spider at Bonhams and €188K for a 2.4L Spider at Artcurial.

There is a very long running thread on the Ferrari Chat forum (here) debating whether the crazy classic car boom of the past decade is about to implode. The inflation in 246GT/S prices comes in for particular cynicism, and much doom mongering that these will be the first to tumble, followed of course by their Fiat pretenders. But also lots of interesting arguments why this is unlikely to happen. I followed it for ages and found it compelling reading - amidst the usual mediocre punditry there were contributions from fanatical collectors, high end Ferrari dealers and auction houses, people who work in the financial markets, well-informed experts in various fields. Having followed it for more than 2 years I conclude that no one can predict the future. Just make sure I enjoy the damn thing while I'm privileged enough to look after it for the next owner!
2400 Spider #1364
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

There are also much more reasonable asking prices that haven't caused a sell:
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C566833
89TC

Post by 89TC »

Haha, the year is now 2021, this six year old thread about car values is interesting.... It sounded like Dino prices were all over the board back then. Now they're climbing at a more uniform rate.

Regarding values of any collector cars imploding and losing value, that's b.s.. I've been collecting cars for thirty years and never had one lose value, although different marques gain value at different rates. It's a moot point to me anyway, because I'm one of the shrinking few of people that is not into collector cars for the almighty dollar.

But on the other side of the coin I have noticed an uptick in collector car interest in the past year. I'm attributing this to idle time during covid, and also the fact that millenials, although they don't know what a crankshaft or valve cover is, have found that you can make profit off of buying and selling collector cars...
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Thanks for digging up this thread! Interesting :D