Cost of a 2.4 Dino Coupe? and 2.4 engines?

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

Dino
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Cost of a 2.4 Dino Coupe? and 2.4 engines?

Post by Dino »

Hi, I'm hoping you can help me.
I have a chance of a UK found, 1971 Fiat Dino Coupe that's been off the road for about 4 years (previous to that it was taxed insured and driven) sadly since then it's been bashed about a bit and neglected, however the engine is running, it drives though no brakes and has sustained a few dents, one will need weld repair and the bottom of doors are bubbling up as are a few other areas. Other than that the floor and body are sound, interiors OK, it is complete (nothing missing) as is the engine etc though non original wheels and steering wheel are fitted.
What I need to know, is in your opinion, what should be paid in todays market for a car that will need a restoration though not an overly expensive bare metal one?
Also what would a 2nd hand complete with carbs 2.4 Dino engine in a good but used condition cost today, presuming all internals are OK?
Thanks for your help in advance
Michael
luckyme
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Cost of a 2.4 Dino Coupe? and 2.4 engines?

Post by luckyme »

if the motor is running and in good shape i would think a 2.4 liter motor would be around 10 to 12 thousand.but non running maybe half or less.
Dino
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by Dino »

Thanks for your reply
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

I can give you the advice, to carefully check the engine if paying >10k for it. The Dino engine is very robust - meaning it still runs well although it is not in good shape anymore. I have encountered it by myself, my engine was running well but after dismanteling I saw badly worn bearings etc., resulting in the need of a complete rebuild, incl. reworking the crankshaft etc.

Thomas
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

ThomasK wrote:I can give you the advice, to carefully check the engine if paying >10k for it. The Dino engine is very robust - meaning it still runs well although it is not in good shape anymore. I have encountered it by myself, my engine was running well but after dismanteling I saw badly worn bearings etc., resulting in the need of a complete rebuild, incl. reworking the crankshaft etc.
Thomas
That's why some Dino experts tell you not to open a running engine. You'll always end up in a costly rebuild.