Questions about Fiat Dino Spider first series

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

patrizio
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Questions about Fiat Dino Spider first series

Post by patrizio »

Although I sure that the engine compartment and luggage compartment of the Fiat Dino Spider (second series) and Coupé are demi-matt black, anyone know if the first series of Fiat Dino Spider (first 500 spider) have the engine compartment and luggage compartment painted in the same color as the body?
Have anyone of you a first series Fiat Dino Spider in very original condition (not restored)?
Thanks ;)
Emanuel H
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Questions about Fiat Dino Spider first series

Post by Emanuel H »

Mine is pretty original, no. 153, even though some of the paint has been redone. It has the same color throughout.
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Thanks Emanuel H ;)
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

I have an Fiat Dino Spider Owners´ handbook, which is printed in December 1967. In the black-and-white
photos, strange enough, some of them show an early 2 Litre Spider, some of them show a late 2 Litre Spider,
with the later wooden dash and a long centre console.
However, the photo of the engine bay shows a early 2 Litre engine, with DCN carburettors with no choke, and
no Dinoplex ignition. The underside of the bonnet and the inner front wings definitively seem to have been
painted in a semi-matt black, and is much darker than the body paint - which I suspect is red (but that is very
hard to say, just from a black-and-white photo.)
If this very picture was taken for the first edition of the Owner´s handbook for the Spider, I think it is fair to
assume, an very early Spider was used for this photosession.
Maybe this is indicating that all Fiat Dino Spiders had black painted engine bay from factory?

Dinoswede
Franz

Post by Franz »

Hi Dinoswede

Just have a look to the pictures in this old Italian 1967 magazine (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37#p72) posted in the library section of the forum.

The car is 444 body number (2.000 early series). While the underside of the rear bonnet seems painted in Black color on the other hand the engine bay and the trunk bay seems painted in the same color of the car (not black).

Just have a look and then let us know your impression

Franz
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Hi Franz,
I have looked at the photos you are referring to, and I still think there is a visible difference in colour
between the front left wing (the small visible section of it) and the left inner front wing.
In my opinion, the body colour seems to be lighter that the engine bay area.
But I am by no means an expert in photografic issues, and I agree it is very hard to tell colours from a
black-and-white photo. The tested Spider could be a red car, or a green, or a....?
But why was the engine bay and trunk painted matt-black, in the first place? Wouldn´t it be much
easier painting the whole car in one colour only?
My guess is, it is all about the cost for the paint - the body paint probably was much more expensive,
or maybe the choosen matt-black was claimed having an anti-corrosion effect?

Dinoswede
tberd62

Post by tberd62 »

I see a glossy finish on the driver side shock tower when the picture is taken to maximum size. I would say its body color because if it was painted black, it would not be a glossy black.
Joe Ventura
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Here comes the picture from my Owner´s manual I mentioned earlier.
Note the DCN carburettors and no Dinoplex. At least this (probably) very early
Spider seems to have been painted matt-black in engine bay, but there is of
course possible that Pininfarina changed painting routines during production...

Dinoswede
Attachments
003.JPG
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Dinoswede
in the picture on your instruction manual it is clear that the engine compartment is painted black.
What we can not know, seeing the picture of the manual, if it is referred to one of the first 500 FIAT Dino Spider produced, or to one of the first FIAT Dino Spider "second series" produced ;)
The Dinoplex C were mounted on FIAT Dino Spider from No. # 833 (see FIAT bulletin n ° 89 of June 1968).
So also some Spider "second series" lacked Dinoplex C ...
IMHO
Dinoswede

Post by Dinoswede »

Patrizio has a point, that all Spiders up to s/n 0833 were lacking the Dinoplex. Also, I have found
out that all Spiders up to s/n 0725 have DCN carburettors, which makes it complicated classifying
2 Litre Spiders in "early and late" - if you not just go for the interior version...

I assume Fiat organized the production of an Owners´handbook in time, so all buyers of a new
Dino Spider got an Owners´handbook with the car.
It would be interesting to know if it exists an Owners´handbook for the Spider with printing date
before December 1967 out there - and how the pictures look?

Dinoswede