Help with Dino coupe for sale

All about our Fiat Dino Coupes and Spiders

Moderators: doublegarage, Philt68

mdfdavie
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Help with Dino coupe for sale

Post by mdfdavie »

Hi. I live in south Florida and am interested in this Arizona Dino: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/de ... 41231.html

Any suggestions on how to find a fiat expert near the car who can do a ppi or an inspection to help determine originality, completeness, and condition? Much obliged! Mark
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Help with Dino coupe for sale

Post by Stefan2000 »

I think we can at least help you determine originality just by the pictures, can't help you with the inspection though.
In terms of originality there is a lot wrong with this car. That in my opinion won't necessarily make it a bad or uninteresting car if it is mechanically solid and you just like to have a driver it might be a good car for a good price.
If you really want we can tell you every detail that is incorrect in terms of originality. But for now just keep in mind that this car is far from original in terms of details so if you want a perfectly original car i would look further. What would turn me off in any case is a 2 liter car with a 2.4 liter engine and the other way around and that is the case with this example.
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by beebee246 »

Well, you've asked for advice, and I'm offering it!
Apart from the 246 engine, I actually don't see too much wrong with the car, except the trunk lid isn't/won't close! The odd Ferrari badge can easily be removed and it still has the original steering wheel and air filter housing. As a very early car that adds extra interest for me.
If the car was at that price in the UK it would surely be sold already. When they sell here they are $50k equivalent.
Here's what I'd do. Go for a good long test drive.ntake it into the hills! If when you come back you still like it, offer the dealer $27k. It won't owe him that much, since all dealers surely make 20/25% margin. He has no sentiment for this car, it is just stock and needs to be turned over. And it's winter!!!
If I was local, this debate wouldn't be happening..... It would be in my garage. It's most handsome, and has changed my view on red coupes ( I didn't care for them in that colour). Anyway, do yourself a favour and at least drive the car. If the 2.4 conversion has been done well, it's going to be a brute. And check the trunk lid will close (and open again!)
Sorry to be controversial to the purist, but I'd rather drive and own a superb hybrid Dino that a bad standard car. I've owned 23 dinos, and have had some duff ones!
Good luck,
Brian boxall
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I agree 100% but that is just a personal thing. I would prefer a technically solid driver over a optically perfect garage queen any day but (sadly or luckily depending what you prefer) value of 'italian exotics' seem to depend more on stupid things like books, tool kits and other details than on a proper engine and drive-train.
Many people do care about these details and if Mark is looking for a car with all perfect details this car would not be the one i would recommend just by the pictures alone. If he is looking for a nice driver it would definitely be worth checking out for that price.
4cambob

Post by 4cambob »

whilst I cant recommend an expert or say how good the car is , I can comment on originality, completeness. The non original items are - As stated engine and gearbox,obviously whole car all repainted,front bumper overriders and domed chrome bolts nearby,square wing indicator lights,hub cap yellow centres, tyre size should be185, dinoplex missing (originals not cheap),I would say seat coverings redone not in original basket weave,gear knob,rheostat knob on centre consul,boot latch missing in door shut,yellow boot badge and fiat badge,missing 1 torino wing badge,chrome bezels on all instruments,centre consul recovered non original with ashtray lid missing,c pillar internal vents,door kick plate lower rubbers missing,rear of front wing rubbers missing, As it has a very cracked dash it may have spent a lot of time in the sun (see faded rear lights as well) and hopefully may not be that rusty,
mdfdavie
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by mdfdavie »

Wow. Thanks for the great observations and advice. I'm about 1500 miles away so it's a long trip for a test drive. The selling dealer has found a local exotic/high end car dealer, and I might have them look over and test drive the car for me. I'm off course worried about rust, amongst other items.
Thanks again for the answers!
Mark