Large Dinoplex

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Large Dinoplex

Post by robmurray »

I am new to Dino ownership and I have read that the Dinoplex electronic ignition is unreliable. What is it that goes wrong and what happens - misfire, engine stops? Also I have read that they have to be used with the original the of coil - what is the story here? Finally I see that Superperformance will rebuild the unit with modern internals which strikes me as the best of all options - has anyone any experience of this? Im just looking to learn from you. Many thanks.
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Large Dinoplex

Post by Tobi »

The Dinoplex is not unreliable. If it breaks, you can still drive in Emergenza mode without it. And the best thing is that it can be rebuilt easily. You don't have to be a rocket scientist for this. It is true that you need the original coil BZR250A with three terminals.
You'll find all you need to know about the Dinoplex on Adrian's page http://www.dinoplex.org
There are a lot of dicussions here about the best ignition solution. I'd choose the original setting if you still have it.
alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Post by alh »

robmurray wrote:Also I have read that they have to be used with the original the of coil - what is the story here?

The original coil works like a transformer, it has a separate ground connection for the secondary (spark) side.
If you connect a standard coil to a Dinoplex C, then the spark energy would either travel through the Dinoplex electronics, or (more common) damage the coil wiring by discharge into the inside of the (grounded) coil body.
Finally I see that Superperformance will rebuild the unit with modern internals which strikes me as the best of all options - has anyone any experience of this?
Unfortunately the modern internals are not that modern, as they are a copy of an early seventies Bosch transistor ignition. The spark output is similar to the Emergenza setup, so IMHO not really worth the rebuild. You could rebuild the internals with an MSD 6A or a more modern Bosch setup though, but in the majority of cases a repair of the Dinoplex C is quite feasible.
robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by robmurray »

I now have my Dino after an epic journey from Portugal. I don't think the coil is standard and the Dinoplex is in emergency mode. From the photos can anyone tell if the coil is correct? Also, can anyone help me understand what the Dinoplex does, given that the car runs in emergency mode and I understand it still has points?
Many thanks
Rob
Attachments
IMG_0547.jpg
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

I can't tell from that picture Rob - how about a part number or close up picture of the label?

I HIGHLY recommend Adrian's modification to the Dinoplex - using a small Bosch module that fits inside the big Dinoplex box, different coil, also maybe new optical pickup in the distributor. Read all about it here: http://www.dinoplex.org/
I can help you with it - and Adrian can help out when we get really stuck.

Also, you should always suspect wear inside your Marelli distributor - and have it checked by someone with a distributor-machine (which spins the distributor and plots the shape of the advance curve). The distributor has a hard life being mounted horizontally and there are several parts that wear (but are fixable)

Doing the above to my car has transformed how it runs and it's been reliable ever since.

-Richard
alh

Post by alh »

robmurray wrote:I now have my Dino after an epic journey from Portugal. I don't think the coil is standard and the Dinoplex is in emergency mode. From the photos can anyone tell if the coil is correct? Also, can anyone help me understand what the Dinoplex does, given that the car runs in emergency mode and I understand it still has points?
Many thanks
Rob
Rob,

this does not look like the original BZR205A coil unfortunately. The Dinoplex is a so called capacitive ignition, it delivers a strong spark with a very high voltage to ensure the fuel/air mixture is ignited properly every time, even at very high RPMs. In emergence mode the car runs on a classic points and coil setup which helps to get you back to the workshop if the Dinoplex should fail, but was not meant to be used as standard ignition mode.

If you don't have the BZR205A coil which is required for the Dinoplex proper operation, you might want to either install an MSD 6A/Blaster 2 Coil setup (easy install, kind of a plug and play replacement of the Dinoplex, you could even hide the MSD internals in the Dinoplex enclosure), or convert the Dinoplex internals to my Bosch/Lumenition setup shown here: http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_Ferr ... Pickup.pdf

Good luck,
Adrian
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

I also had a non functioning large Dinoplex in my 2400 Spider (see "Dinoplex - restore or replace?"), and thanks to sound advice from Adrian and Tobi I opted to have the unit repaired rather than replace the internals. Mark Devaney (24 Hundred Garage) replaced the blown components following the instructions on Adrian's website and also fabricated a repair to the broken Bakelite in the "Normale/Emergencia" switch mechanism. So far it is running faultlessly and I now enjoy the full start-up ritual with the Dinoplex whine! When these units are functioning correctly they work a treat.This was Mark's first Dinoplex repair and I believe he will now offer Dinoplex refurbishment as part of the Dino life support service he provides to owners here in the UK.

More importantly, I have probably one of the more original 2400 Spiders on the road. The first production car electronic ignition unit is a big part of the Dino story, so for me originality in that area adds a lot to the appeal of the car. Rob, if you're reading this, I would strongly recommend keeping things original if you can, though getting hold of the correct coil maybe your biggest challenge.

Special thanks to Adrian for keeping the esoteric knowledge of Dinoplexes alive, and generously sharing it with this community.
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
2400 Spider #1364
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

That's a nice restoration of the Dinoplex and its peripherals - yes agreed that it's better to keep it as original as possible.

That decision seems to often rest on the coil, if you have a good BZR205A then it's worthwhile to repair the old electronics - if not (and/or it's completely absent as on my car) then it's somewhere between uneconomical and impossible to repair/re-use the electronics. I had to content myself with something that closely resembled the original and works as well or better.

Have to emphasize again the need to at least suspect a worn distributor - mine had at least 4 things mechanically wrong with it.

-Richard
alh

Post by alh »

The BZR205A coil is the deciding factor if a Dinoplex should be rebuild or converted, as every other part for repair is still available.

If your BZR205A is broken, or you don't have the original coil anymore then a rebuild (e.g. with a Bosch setup or MSD internals) is really the only option if you want to keep the stock appearance.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Adrian,
I remember you told me once that it is also possible to rebuild the coil. How much effort does it need? It would definitely be wise to keep a broken BZR205A instead of disposing it.
Best regards,
Tobi