Large Dinoplex

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

alh
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Re: Large Dinoplex

Post by alh »

Tobi wrote:Adrian,
I remember you told me once that it is also possible to rebuild the coil. How much effort does it need? It would definitely be wise to keep a broken BZR205A instead of disposing it.
Best regards,
Tobi
Yes it's possible and i have successfully done this before, but am missing the correct tools to open and close (crimp) the coil body around the upper plastic body. Without the tools the result looks quite crappy to be honest. Rewinding the coil and refilling the coil with an industrial transformer oil is not a problem.
robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by robmurray »

Guys
Here is an update on my Dinoplex. The unit was not connected at all because, as one of you spotted, the coil was non-original. I have fitted the correct coil (easily available ex Superformance). The Dinoplex seems to be working albeit the emergency / normal switch has burnt out so it is now just bypassed and the rev counter will not work off the Dinoplex. Can I get the switch replaced or does this make the unit a write off?
Cheers
Rob
alh

Post by alh »

Rob,

what coil did you install? I am pretty sure that Superformance does not have the correct ones, as these are NLA for a long time now. Can you post a photo?

The switch of the older Dinoplex C (metal switch housing) can be replaced, and the later CA/CB switch in the bakelite housing can be repaired if damaged.

The electronic rev counter should work as expected when wired to the right terminsl on the ballast resistor (marked "D"), where the points wire is also connected. It will not work in the emergenca mode, if everything is wired correctly.

Good luck,
Adrian
robmurray

Post by robmurray »

The coil I bought is the BK2A from the Superformance web site. Is this where you tell me that it is incorrect?
Thanks
Rob
alh

Post by alh »

robmurray wrote:The coil I bought is the BK2A from the Superformance web site. Is this where you tell me that it is incorrect?
Yes, unfortunately that one is incorrect. I am not sure why Colin offers a BK2A coil for the Dino.
Connecting a standard two terminal coil such as the BK2A to a large Dinoplex will damage the coil windings and eventually the Dinoplex components.
robmurray

Post by robmurray »

Nightmare!
I have to say that I have been really unimpressed by Superformance. They have supplied coil, headlights and wiper motor, none of which are right for the car.
I guess my only option is to go for the so-called modern internals so at least it looks original. They will just have to refund the coil.
Thanks for helping me.
Rob
alh

Post by alh »

robmurray wrote:Nightmare!
I have to say that I have been really unimpressed by Superformance. They have supplied coil, headlights and wiper motor, none of which are right for the car.
I guess my only option is to go for the so-called modern internals so at least it looks original. They will just have to refund the coil.
Thanks for helping me.
Rob
Rob,

nothing wrong with a conversion if you don't have the original coil anymore. I would recommend one of the following two conversions, which have been proven to work with the Dino engine and are not very expensive:

1. MSD 6A and Blaster 2 Coil
The MSD 6A ignition uses a similar technology as the Dinoplex C, and the internals of the MSD 6A or 6AL2 box fit nicely into an empty Dinoplex C enclosure. The MSD works with a points setup just like the Dinoplex. Recommend to use NGK BPR7ES or BPR8ES spark plugs.
http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/MSD_6A_Dino ... iagram.pdf

2. Bosch high power transistor ignition with optical pickup
This setup uses an electronic Bosch ignition controller, a high power Bosch coil and a distributor conversion where the points/breakers are exchanged against a Lumenition Optronics pickup. It's a bit more work to install, but works exceedingly well with the Dino engine. Recommend to use NGK BPR7EIX spark plugs.
http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_Ferr ... Pickup.pdf

good luck,
Adrian
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Hi, I am also one of many that Adrian helped keep on the road with a working Dinoplex. I was also one of the more fortunate to find the original coil thrown in a box of garbage that came with the car :) The dinoplex had a blow thyristor and capacitor, but was fixed following the instructions on Adrian's site. However, what really completely changed the driving experience was refurbishing my distributor: it had all the problems: worn bearings, dimples in the bell, etc. I patched up the latter with steel from a tape measure (thin and very hard) and re-adjusted the timing curve using a home-built distributor machine. It actually wasn't that great because it's missing the vibrations from the engine (I think), so it retards more than it should. I re-did it by trial and error on the engine (you need a timing light with adjustable advance to do this) and permutating all the springs I had and those that superformance kindly sent me (they did not work off the shelf). Now, it's almost spot-on and no more misfires or much of a lag at low rpms-a blast to drive! The engine keeps on going and going and going! We had an outing here with some very nice cars, the Dino really fits right in!
Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Barnfind »

HugoHarris wrote:I now enjoy the full start-up ritual with the Dinoplex whine! .
I'm new in these stuff..

What do you mean with the words above?

Thanks..
HugoHarris
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by HugoHarris »

A correctly functioning Dinoplex will emit a high pitched whine as it warms up. You can hear it on this YouTube clip
2400 Spider #1364