2.4 Coupe Radiator Fan

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

AndyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

2.4 Coupe Radiator Fan

Post by AndyC »

my radiator fan / circuit has stopped working but I can't see why! If I short the terminals on the rad switch the relay can be heard operating, so I disconnected the fan and checked the output from the relay which was 12v with the rad switch terminals connected. Suspecting the fan motor I removed it and tested it by connecting directly across the battery.....and it works fine.

In summary, with fan out of circuit, output from relay is 12v but as soon as I connect fan in circuit it drops to zero. Fan motor itself is good. Whilst the relay appears to work okay is it the likely suspect?

Andy
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: 2.4 Coupe Radiator Fan

Post by beebee246 »

Andy,
I'd definately try another relay. I'm not sure if the relay is "normally open" or "normally closed" but Superformance can sell you the right one, and they are not expensive. Alternatively if you can't wait for them to despatch one, my local motor factors has plastic bodied ones at £5 a pop.
Good luck,
Didn't see your car at NEC this year?
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by beebee246 »

Another thought. If the temperature sender on the engine is faulty or has a loose wire, it won't tell the radiator fan when to switch on,
Good luck,
Brian
AndyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by AndyC »

Thanks Brian. I'll order from Superformance, I'm overhauling the cooling system, new hoses, water pump bits etc, so it can go on the list. Never thought about the sensor in the block, I thought that was just a sender for the gauge?

No, not been to NEC this year, car has a been a bit temperamental so haven't strayed far from home! Before the fan stopped working, it had been running more than normal, so time for a good flush through. The only thing that seemed to keep the temperature down was driving in excess of 70mph!!