Restore gauges

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

sveckan
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Restore gauges

Post by sveckan »

Hi all,

I'm thinking of removing and cleaning all of the gauges on my 2400 coupe. I'd like to clean the inside of the glass on each gauge, since they have become a bit dusty over the years. Has anyone done this? What is the best/correct way to remove the glass? Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Anders Svensson
Dario

Re: Restore gauges

Post by Dario »

Hi, I don't think this is an easy task: I once removed the clock and tachometer to repair them, and it's a bear to get them out if you do not remove the dash. They are held from behind and there is not much room to get your hands in there. I removed the steering column and ignition switch, and that was just about enough room to reach behind a couple of them.
Once you do get them off, the front bezel is crimped on. You need to get behind it with a very small screwdriver and pry it off slowly without damaging it. There is a special tool to crimp it back on, but you can work your way around and no one will notice once they are mounted.
Good luck, and if you decide to remove the dash, post photos and let us know how it goes.
Dario
sveckan

Re: Restore gauges

Post by sveckan »

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, Dario! It sounds like a removal of the dash is almost necessary to be able to do this job. If I do I’ll be sure to post photos and info.
Kind regards,
Anders