New windshield does not fit

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Westley
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

New windshield does not fit

Post by Westley »

Hi,

We have put the windshield in the 67 Dino we are restoring and have found that it is thinner and does not have the same radius curve on the bottom where the glass meets the cowl. Does anyone have any information or work arounds for this? What do you do? Is there a supplier that has the correct thickness and curvature? I know I am asking a lot, and I am thankful for the parts that we have found, but we are getting more and more frustrated with every passing day.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Westley
dinoverde

Re: New windshield does not fit

Post by dinoverde »

Hi
Is your car a spider or a coupe?
Regards
Hervé
Westley

Post by Westley »

The car is a spider. The glass is not quite as thick as the original, nor does it have the same curvature as the original at the bottom of the windshield. I think that the original windshield has too many scratches to be polished out.
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

I recently bought a windshield myself from france. That was the only supplier i was confident had the proper windshield thickness and curvature.
They have the original molds. Unfortunately it took them 6 month to make the windshield and i had to have a friend of mine take care of shipping as they would not get involved..total cost was close to $2000 with shipping and manufacturing the appropriate box. I installed the windshield and it fitted perfectly. The thickness and curvature was per the original windshield. Had i not elected to built a show car i would have been perfectly happy with my old windshield which has just a couple minor tiny pin marks and no scratches .. If you are not looking for a perfect windshield but a very nice original one, i would consider selling my original windshield. You can send me a private message and we can take it from there.
There are several suppliers of windshields including superformance and Dino parts who sale windshields for the spider, but the glass they offer is too thin. This will create great difficulties to fit the lower chrome molding and will require a lot of caulking. In the end i doubt the result will be acceptable. I have been that route before with other cars...
Emanuel H

Post by Emanuel H »

Can you share the name of supplier in France?
dinoverde

Post by dinoverde »

europarts in Reims
33 326403840