Dino coupe hot alternator

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

rkjcooper
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Dino coupe hot alternator

Post by rkjcooper »

Just started the dino after a long time in storage and battery was fully charged. Connected the battery and terminal seemed to spark more than it should when being connected as though something was taking a large drain. Did not think to much of it until I tried to start it for a second time about 20 mins later. The battery was now at 8volts and car would not even turn over. I checked the alternator and it was very hot. I guess this is what the large drain on Battery was. Any hints on what to check as to why the alternator would stay "hot" or live and drain the battery? Is it directly alternator related or could it be ignition connected? What is the flashing red light on dash??

Thanks
The Dutch Dino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Dino coupe hot alternator

Post by The Dutch Dino »

Voltage regulator or alternator winding? Or starter motor. Other stuff is on fuses and would have blown anfuse I assume. Not an expert on electrical stuff..
Leo
Dino Coupé 2400x2
The Netherlands
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

Referring the Light on the dash take a Lok in the manual. Red flashing light schould be the handbrake. Can you turn the Engine By hand?
rkjcooper
Dino: Ferrari Dino 246 GT

Post by rkjcooper »

I will check the regulator and if it is not the cause then will try a test light on the alternator which I found how to test from an electrician. I have no manuals on the car at all which I am desperately looking for..

Thanks.
fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by fdus172 »

Hopefully you'll find the short in your electrical system.... but as for manuals - look in the 'manuals' section of this forum.... all of the available ones are there !!
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, the battery charging light on the dash is orange and does not flash. The problem with the alternator is likely a short, perhaps caused by built-up carbon deposits on the brush (see the excellent description in the yahoo group forum under Alternator in documents). It could also be a diode that shorted. There is also the problem that engine oil tends to drip on the alternator if there is a leak on the valve cover gasket (not unlikely unfortunately...). You will need to remove the alternator which is not difficult to do if you remove the oil filter and (I think) the switches near it. You don't need to drain the oil, but be prepared for what comes out of the filter! The alternator itself is easy to take appart, see attached manual.

Good luck,

Dario
Attachments
A_12M_124_12_47_manual.pdf
A 12 M 124/12/47 alternator manual
(692.09 KiB) Downloaded 411 times