changing channel slide window

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

1des3mousquettaires
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

changing channel slide window

Post by 1des3mousquettaires »

Hello guys,

I've just bought new channel slide rubbers ( Cicognaniguarnizioni )for the door windows ,because mine where completely destroyed.
I was just wondering if somebody could give me some advice how to proceed for the replacement of the rubbers ...

Thank you very much for the reply !
Dirk
Coupé 2.0
GaryS

Re: changing channel slide window

Post by GaryS »

Remove the window frame from door. Not too difficult a job, but not simple either. When removing stainless trim from door you may encounter an obscured rivet or two. When removing the glass from cable drive, be sure not to activate window motor (disconnect battery cable) as a safeguard for proper indexing with the drive cable. There is a Phillips head shallow face machine screw above the door latch mechanism on the door frame which will need to be removed, this screw acts as an index into the window framing. Remove two 10mm nuts from vent window with cover plate and plastic surround. Remove the vent window gear drive 4 Phillips machine screws, wiggle and pull, the unit should drop down to be removed. There is probably another shallow head Phillips screw in the area of the vent window in the front of the door, but not sure, if yes remove it. Pretty sure there are 3 - 10mm bolts on the top side and 2 on the bottom of the door that will be holding the frame in place - remove - the 2 bottom bolts will each have an alignment bushing which accounts for the rake of the frame against the heavy rubber door molding. The frame should be free to move. The window glass should be set against the bottom stop, or you may want to spread the frame to remove from guide and set to back. No need to remove glass from car. Be careful to avoid tabs interfering with window cable drive - wiggle and lift free and clear of door! Kind of a pain in the ass job, but one that needs to be done. Be prudent and careful. When fitting the new channel rubber use an appropriate spreader, something like the fiat 8/10 mm box socket tools leverage handle and run it up and down the channel to open the track and to seat the molding in the framework. When reinstalling frame in door, after returning the glass to its track, lightly screw the 5 frame bolts back in position and run the glass up and down with your hand to make sure there is no binding or other irregularities that will bite you later. You may want to spray some silicone into the track, why not ... Return index screw(s), vent window drive mechanism, and at least the inside stainless trim pc. Tighten snugly (do not use force) the 5 frame bolts and check frame alignment against door port and weatherstripping, as well as smooth door closure. Tweak if necessary as necessary! That sums it up. You may possibly be able to change out the molding with frame in door, but you really do need to remove the glass from the track and you will be compromised in seating and prepping the molding. Hope this helps.
Gary
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Hi Dirk,
Gary did a fantastic job summing it up, and I can't think of anything he missed despite just having re-installed mine after a respray. I would consider perhaps trying to undo the two bolts holding the metal frame on the bottom, and maybe loosening the two upper ones. Then, the glass will wiggle free (you will have undone the screws holding it to the wire before) and you can remove it from the track and position it inside to door behind the frame. You will have plenty of access to remove the channel rubber and to install the new one. Then, reverse to re-assemble!

Good luck,

Dario
1des3mousquettaires

Post by 1des3mousquettaires »

Thank you veru much Gary and Dario for you reply!!!
As soon as I have got the time I'm going to put your advice in to practice, so that she's ready when the winter has passed...

Thank's a lot!
Dirk
doublegarage
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by doublegarage »

I'm doing this job this weekend, replacing the interior window channel. The frame is out and on the bench. This is for a 2400cc Coupe so it has the velvet channel on the interior of the frame and the heavy rubber channel that runs around the exterior.

Quick question - the old rubber/velvet ripped out of the interior really easily and I couldn't tell whether it had been glued in or not - did you all glue yours in? If so, what did you use?

It was pretty tricky to get out (the frame from the door), really not looking forward to putting it back in. And then there's the other side to do...

Thanks,

-Richard
Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

I didn't change the velt gasket/channel on the Dino, but did on my Alfa which has the same one. I just use some regular glue, nothing fancy.
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

i have enough to do a car if someone is interested(discounted price)