hand brake

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Benz 116 w
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

hand brake

Post by Benz 116 w »

Hello, I have a returning problem with my Dino Coupe 2400. The rear right handbrake gets stuck and overheats. Normally I roll out with the car monthly - even in winter - and the cable has already been switched. What do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
Tobi
Site Admin

Re: hand brake

Post by Tobi »

Try to lube the actuation mechanism at the brake.
Benz 116 w

Post by Benz 116 w »

Tobi does that mean "lubricate"? Where exactly?
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi, the same thing happened to me. If I gave it a few taps of a hammer, it would unjam. It is probably the handbrake mechanism in the rear calliper. It's a pain, but you likely need to take it appart and clean it all out. In my case, the o-ring behind the plunger had deteriorated and gotten jammed. I had previously rebuilt the caliber, but not the actual lever in the back of the calliper that operates the mechanical E-brake. You need to pull it out of the rear piston if you want to check the o-rings there.

Best,

Dario
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

On my Dino, just the lever where the cable is attached was stuck. I did not dismantle anything. I just lubricated it with spray oil.
Benz 116 w

Post by Benz 116 w »

Thank you guys, will do... First the lubrication then the dismantling. If it does not change do you think I should get a new caliper/cylinder with the O ring if it happens again, or can it be rebuilt somehow?
Dario

Post by Dario »

Also tried spraying with cleaner and lubricating with WD40, but it didn't work for long. Of course, you should try that first, maybe all that is holding yours up is gunk. Here are a couple of pics of the offending part. It is the rear piston that also houses the lever for the E-brake. When that is pulled, a lever pushes against the other piston, compressing the caliper. There are small o-rings on the lever shaft that prevent fluid from leaking. They had deteriorated on mine. Once the caliber is appart, you need to use a vise to compress the spring to remove the key that holds it in. Then you work your way down and remove the circlip holding the bottom piece into the piston.
P1120901.jpg
Dario

Post by Dario »

P1120902.jpg
Anyone know how to add more than one picture in the same message?
Benz 116 w

Post by Benz 116 w »

Wow Dario, that is more than enough, thanks!