Cylinder Inspection

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Cylinder Inspection

Post by ThomasK »

I agree with what was said before.

When the engine is out, you can of course do the normal maintenance, meaning valve clearance, check Timing, if needed, adjust, check cams, check chain Tension and if needed adjust. What you can do on top is to remove the oil pan and to check for metal flakes. If there is nothing in, fine. If you find a lot metal, time for action is there.

Dino engines are very robust and can run good also if there are Problems. Mine was running OK when I dismantled it and I found a Piston rod bearing moving in the bore, having harmed the Piston rod and the crankschaft. Found a big Portion of metal flakes in the oilpan. I removed the engine because of noises what later turned out to be a worn bearing of the Generator...

So I can follow you with not opening the engine if everything is fine but if the enfine is already out, I would remove the oilpan. And then probably exchange the front and rear seals of the crankshaft as well...
If the oilpan is removed, you can also have a look into the engine from downwards to have an optical check. You can also do a leakage test with compressed air to check if the Piston rings are worn.

Meaning you can do a lot to check if dismanteling the engine is necessary before starting that.

So far my cent to the discussion...