Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Post by Stefan2000 »

Hi Dan,
As you might know here in the Netherlands there is a company that is currently rebuilding 9 Dino motors, and i can only say that they do a really good job. They know the engines inside out and they threat these engines like they are working on a swiss watch.
If you decide to send your engine there, i know the guys very well end that company is around the block from my place. Beside that i am in Lübeck and Wismar once a month so if i can do anything for you (transport your engine or something) just let me know.
DanHansen
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by DanHansen »

Stefan2000 wrote:Hi Dan,
As you might know here in the Netherlands there is a company that is currently rebuilding 9 Dino motors, and i can only say that they do a really good job. They know the engines inside out and they threat these engines like they are working on a swiss watch.
If you decide to send your engine there, i know the guys very well end that company is around the block from my place. Beside that i am in Lübeck and Wismar once a month so if i can do anything for you (transport your engine or something) just let me know.
Stefan..

Thank you, I need an estimate on a total rebuild, cylinders, pistons, valves, balancing etc., would that be possible?

Dan
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

There should be some very good shops in europe able to handle any of the machine work. Superformance and Dino parts a good sources for parts...make sure whomever put the engine together is very familiar with timing the cams correctly.. Once the engine is out you might find it worthwhile to do other things...
I am restoring my car from the bare shell up..it has been a long process and i feel pretty familiar with mostly everything on the car..so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.
Best Regards
hervé
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

DanHansen wrote:
Stefan2000 wrote:Hi Dan,
Stefan..

Thank you, I need an estimate on a total rebuild, cylinders, pistons, valves, balancing etc., would that be possible?

Dan
Stefan, I´ll talked to Bart, at Nose2Tail, and I´m sending him my engine etc. ;)
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

dinoverde wrote:There should be some very good shops in europe able to handle any of the machine work. Superformance and Dino parts a good sources for parts...make sure whomever put the engine together is very familiar with timing the cams correctly.. Once the engine is out you might find it worthwhile to do other things...
I am restoring my car from the bare shell up..it has been a long process and i feel pretty familiar with mostly everything on the car..so if you need any help don't hesitate to ask.
Best Regards
hervé
Thank you Hervé, I will...
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

So, as I drained the slush (oil/coolant) I decided to remove the left bank camshafts to get a better view of the sprockets at the bottom of the engine, and there are also signs of damage, furthermore I noticed a pretty nonchalant use of liquid sealant... :o
Good news after all, I have decided to ship the engine to Nose2Tail, in Holland, they will do their magic..
Attachments
IMG_2164.jpg
IMG_2164.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
IMG_2168.jpg
IMG_2168.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 6049 times
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Wow, looks like the roller bearing of the left cam drive gear just totally disintegrated causing the shaft to get out of line. And that caused the gear to jump until the piston hit your valves.
Makes me very sad to see this, such a nice and original engine and car.
But i'm sure these guys in Holland will do a good job, they have so much experience with these engines and they made all special tools to rebuild them so i'm sure it will be in good hands.
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Stefan2000 wrote:Wow, looks like the roller bearing of the left cam drive gear just totally disintegrated causing the shaft to get out of line. And that caused the gear to jump until the piston hit your valves.
Makes me very sad to see this, such a nice and original engine and car.
But i'm sure these guys in Holland will do a good job, they have so much experience with these engines and they made all special tools to rebuild them so i'm sure it will be in good hands.
Yes, there is a bit of damage... But now I´m a bit more cheerful, finding the right workshop for the job, thank you for that lead, Stefan..
This proves, that it´s not always a benefit to find a car that have driven no more than 1100 km per year the last 48 years....:-)
So, next up, are to drop the engine, cradle it and ship it to Holland, and wait for springtime next year... ;)
Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Luis A »

Dan, sounds like you will be in good hands. It would be interesting for the shop to take some more photos when they disassemble the engine completely so that perhaps we can all learn from it. Best to you, Luis
Scalino
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Scalino »

What a massive bummer! Bart does an amazing job though, so at least it will look and go better than when it left the factory ;)