Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

DanHansen
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Re: Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Post by DanHansen »

Motor arrived at Nose2Tail in Holland safely, and I received some news regarding the for standing rebuild.
It seems to be a bearing failure at the lower cogwheel that caused the disaster and set of a chain reaction of internal damage..
Good news, the crank seems to be all right but unfortunately the left bank cylinder head are beyond repair, so I need to salvage one?
Springs, valves, rods etc. have more or less some traces of damage, but they had to be replaced anyway.
Now, the will be made a list of parts that needs to be ordered and the rebuild can start in a month or two?
Attachments
IMG_2586.jpg
IMG_2586.jpg (62.58 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
IMG_2591.jpg
IMG_2591.jpg (42.61 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
IMG_2585.jpg
IMG_2585.jpg (43.24 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
IMG_2595.jpg
IMG_2595.jpg (65.31 KiB) Viewed 8533 times
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Interesting find, I'm sure you'll feel some consolation knowing that it was not related to the chain tensioners! By the way, the last picture makes a beautiful poster. What an engine! Imagine what it will be like when it's all back together looking better than ever. I know it's not original, but I painted my valve covers red with the Dino showing through in metal. The sight when you pop the hood is just great. Good luck!
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Dan,
I was there by coincidence last Friday and they were just opening up your engine when i walked in. Really sad to see the damage that occured.
But what i heard from them and what i could conclude myself was well was the following.

The studs from the camshaft bearing caps are made of 5.6 grade steel. The torque spec. for the nuts that torque down these bearings are actually to high for a 5.6 grade steel stud. Therefore if you torque these bearing down to the specified torque these studs stretch up. I have seen and measured these studs at their facility and they really are stretched, all of them at every cilinderhead from every engine. You will notice that because the tread is stretched and the nut will not get on it without resistance. So what they do over there with every Dino cilinderhead is replace all the studs with 10.9 grade studs and special notched nuts that can not come loose.
What happened in this case is that one of the studs was so stretched that the nut came completely loose, it feel off at some point and ended up falling between the teeth of the drive gears for the camshafts. This damaged the gears and because of the high force needed to sqeeze that nut between the gear it also ruined the bearing from that shaft.
This got worse rapidly until it really broke down. Probably by tensioning the chain to try to get rid of some unwanted noised the forces on the gears and the broken bearing got even higher and death penalty was declared...

Well it's in good hands now. Keep us updated because this can be informative to everyone over here.
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Thank you guys...
Yes, it is a relief knowing that it was not the adjusting of the chain that caused the failure, I knew that all along, but to be certain is nice..
What concerns me most, are the damaged cylinder head, that needs to be replaced, I hope I can find one, that are not to expensive?
Now I just wait for N2T to send me a list of parts, needed for the rebuild, also hoping some of the original parts are still in a good condition to be reused..?
I´ll keep you all posted along the way...
Peter B
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Peter B »

Hello. Dan,
ir you come out of such a desaster with your offer price in the web will by a good business model for the future....or !?
regards
Peter
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Peter B wrote:Hello. Dan,
ir you come out of such a desaster with your offer price in the web will by a good business model for the future....or !?
regards
Peter
Hi Peter
I´m not sure where you going...?
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

The last of a very long list of parts are about to be ordered and delivered to N2T.
It´s been a very pleasant surprise to see all those parts needed to make the motor running again, there are absolutely no short cuts made, so I´m sure that it will be a blast, and most important, a reliable car for the next owner and caretaker...
While I´m at it, all bushings in the front, including new steering parts will be replaced to, just to make sure everything are done properly.
Peter B
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Peter B »

Hello Dan,
I was talking about the 89T€ on mobile...
Good luck
kind regards
Peter
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Peter B wrote:Hello Dan,
I was talking about the 89T€ on mobile...
Good luck
kind regards
Peter
And negotiable.... ;)
DanWils
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by DanWils »

Last edited by DanWils on Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.