Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Peter B
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Post by Peter B »

Hello Dan,
think about this.....my Dino Spider 2.4L starts and drives smooth and after rebuild from all rubber parts at axes and steering and wherever really a perfect driver.....
What your intention ?
Repair, or not ? Buy the engine from Georg and it’s done......or rebuilt in NL.....
kind regards
Peter
DanHansen
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by DanHansen »

Peter B wrote:Hello Dan,
think about this.....my Dino Spider 2.4L starts and drives smooth and after rebuild from all rubber parts at axes and steering and wherever really a perfect driver.....
What your intention ?
Repair, or not ? Buy the engine from Georg and it’s done......or rebuilt in NL.....
kind regards
Peter
Lots of thoughts...
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Hello Dan,
maybe it’s also an option to contact Toni Ponzio in Italy. He is the Dinoguru there and help maybe easily......
kind regards
Peter
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Peter B wrote:Hello Dan,
maybe it’s also an option to contact Toni Ponzio in Italy. He is the Dinoguru there and help maybe easily......
kind regards
Peter
Thank you, for the info, I take a note...:-)
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

Dan,
As I understand it Georg isn't offering to sell you his engine. Instead I thought he was wanting to buy your car to put the engine in for himself. My apologies all round if I have got that wrong.
Think very carefully about selling the car as a non runner, particularly if you searched hard for a 2400 coupe in the first place. Put simply we can assume a good 2400 coupe is worth £50,000. An engine rebuild of your existing engine, assuming the crank is good and the heads are relatively undamaged would be £10,000. By deduction you still have a £40,000 asset. If you can afford to have the engine rebuilt, do it, and if you are still nervous and unsure about the car, sell it as a fully rebuilt engined car.
Hope that gives you some hope. I've has 24 fiat dinos, so to coin a phrase, I've been there and done that!
Good luck,
Brian boxall BS1319
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

beebee246 wrote:Dan,
As I understand it Georg isn't offering to sell you his engine. Instead I thought he was wanting to buy your car to put the engine in for himself. My apologies all round if I have got that wrong.
Think very carefully about selling the car as a non runner, particularly if you searched hard for a 2400 coupe in the first place. Put simply we can assume a good 2400 coupe is worth £50,000. An engine rebuild of your existing engine, assuming the crank is good and the heads are relatively undamaged would be £10,000. By deduction you still have a £40,000 asset. If you can afford to have the engine rebuilt, do it, and if you are still nervous and unsure about the car, sell it as a fully rebuilt engined car.
Hope that gives you some hope. I've has 24 fiat dinos, so to coin a phrase, I've been there and done that!
Good luck,
Brian boxall BS1319
Brian.. It has been a nightmare of a weekend, spending time thinking of what to do whit the car. I´m well aware that I´m taking a major loss, selling the car as it is now, and I´m trying to find out if the car can bare the price of a prober engine rebuild, that is what concerns me as well as the future ownership of it?
Of course I do not have a savings, that says 15-20.000€ engine rebuilds, so I will have to find the money to fund such work, if I decide to do further investment in it, not a easy choice...
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

Please don't decide to quickly.
If you have enough place, put it away for a while and let the negative feeling fade away a bit before taking a decision.
But that's just my thought....
DanHansen

Post by DanHansen »

Stefan2000.. Thank you for your concerns on my behalf, and thank you to all you guys, for the well meaning advices, the last week.
Your right, decisions should not be made while being disappointed, nothing good comes from that.
After countless hours of thinking and re-thinking, I have decided to pull the engine out, ship it to N2T and wait for them to give me a overview of the financial damage, when times come...
It has been a roller-coaster of mixed solutions and the fact, that the engine has be rebuild one way or the other, I rather have it done right by a workshop who has the needed experience into these engines.
I could go for an easier rebuild (My wife won´t allow that) but I´ll rather have it all done in a way, that nothing are left to speculate after...
My concerns are now, and this might seems funny? are I i would like a fully bling-bling looking engine in my car, that have all the patina left? of corse I would like the clean look, but not overdressed so it looks like there another engine put back in... small things to feel concerned about, but then again... ?
beebee246

Post by beebee246 »

Dan,
Have you contacted Mark devaney at TwentyFourHundred in the uk for an estimate on an engine build? If you're having to ship the engine out of your country to another anyway for a rebuild it may not be much more expensive to get it to the uk.
As I said before if the crank & heads are ok then £10,000 should see it built not the £15/20k that you suggest.
If you speak to mark please tell him that I recommended you.
Brian
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Tobi »

DanHansen wrote:My concerns are now, and this might seems funny? are I i would like a fully bling-bling looking engine in my car, that have all the patina left? of corse I would like the clean look, but not overdressed so it looks like there another engine put back in... small things to feel concerned about, but then again... ?
Don't care! The new parts will be inside. There is no need to paint or polish an engine with a rebuild. It will be clean, but that will not last very long ;)