Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Chain tensioner adjustment, turned in to major failure

Post by Stefan2000 »

DanHansen wrote: My concerns are now, and this might seems funny? are I i would like a fully bling-bling looking engine in my car, that have all the patina left? of corse I would like the clean look, but not overdressed so it looks like there another engine put back in...
I totally get what you mean. I also have a Dino that is in super original condition and if i would have to rebuild my engine i would not even consider having everything zinc-plated, spray painted and polished up again. Just technically perfect and clean and original that's all.
If you start your rebuild with a pile of rust and oxidation it's off course a complete different story.
beebee246
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by beebee246 »

Dan,
Another option here in the uk is Neale shepherd who has built 3 engines for me. His work is first class and his charges are very reasonable. Call him on 07521021049. Again tell him I suggested you call,
Cheers, brian
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Dario »

Dan, I suggest you heed Brian's advice. My engine has also suffered a similar fate (with the previous owner), and it is running superbly since many years. They are not particularly complex nor difficult to maintain, and they are very reliable. The added worth of a car with a rebuilt engine will partly pay back the expenses of a rebuild. Most likely, you are looking at a set of pistons, valves, and sprockets. In truth, the annoying bits are the components that are outside: distributor, carbs, etc.

Good luck in your decision,

Dario
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Hello Dan,
following the infos from Brian I would suggest that you should take this solution, or you have detail informations about the
garage in NL, I don’t know them......
I spoke with my garage yesterday, they overhauled 3 years ago a V6 from a Lancia Touring GT for me.
There estimation is about 12-15T€, because of the costs for the spares. ( expensive )
kind regards
Peter
DanHansen
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by DanHansen »

I did not have any references to any shops, who had the needed know-how into these engines, not that they need more black woodoo than other engines, but what counts in my book, are a workshop that are developing and pushing boundaries to optimize those weak spots those Dino´s are known for, and N2T was the shop that convinced me, after talking to Bart and looking on their FB profile, which looks like they know their game.
I´m not saying that I could´t find the right engine builder elsewhere, but searching, the few shops who can, just don´t show up? If your good at what your doing, why not shout it out?
Where I live (in Denmark) we have very few shops left, that can do that kind of work and have well equipped workshop, that can machine parts, dyne-test an rebuild engine, actually those I contacted seemed afraid to take on the challenge? And again, needed the innovative side?
So, with a new lift in my garage, I hope to pull the engine with in a couple of weeks, cradle and ship it...
DanHansen
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by DanHansen »

So, just finished another car, and can now start to pull the motor from the car.
This afternoon,I got it on the lift and drained it from all the fluids, during that job I discovered something, that question the origin and maintenance of the car? See for your self... :shock:
Attachments
IMG_2303.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg
IMG_2301.jpg
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

It seems that the bottles have been used to close the air hose connections. Easy to install a new hose.
Luis A

Post by Luis A »

Very nice that they used the vintage style hose clamps... :lol:
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Luis A wrote:Very nice that they used the vintage style hose clamps... :lol:
Might also be nice to see what bottles have been used ;)
Scalino

Post by Scalino »

That looks like a very Italian solution :lol: