leaking rear differential dino 2.4 coupe

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

DinoTomNL
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

leaking rear differential dino 2.4 coupe

Post by DinoTomNL »

Hello,

My rear differential seems to be leaking at the output shafts. Now I want to replace the oil seals but don't know how to do that.
There isn't a center nut to loose to get the flanges off, do I need to undo the 4 bolts around the flange? (see number 1 at the photo)

I am a bit afraid that I will loose some kind of calibration/algining at the diff, so that's the reason I want to check it to be sure.

The part book isn't clear either:
workshop manual photo
workshop manual photo
foto 4 (1).JPG (100.53 KiB) Viewed 6919 times
Thanks for thinking along!

Kind regards
Tom van Remmen
Dario

Re: leaking rear differential dino 2.4 coupe

Post by Dario »

Hi Tom,

Did you ever figure this out? I seem to be having the same problem from the left (driver's) side oil seal. I have the car up and will be trying to take it appart without dropping the diff. Any advice?

Thanks,

Dario
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

You will have to drop the differential to do the repair.
the leak comes from hardened o rings.
You will need to press the out put shaft out and replace the seal on the drive shaft input.
I did mine it is not an impossible job. All the parts are available. You will certainly need access to a good press.
H
DinoTomNL

Post by DinoTomNL »

Hello,

Well when I posted this I just refitted everything as the shrink collar's which hold the bearings to the stubaxle wherein the seals are fitted weren't availble. But now they seem to be availble at Dinoparts. So I Think I will order some and try to refit it as leaking oil starts to be too much.
https://www.dinoparts.com/en/parts-acce ... pider-2400

Still need to see how to get off the old rings and how to fit the new ones(guess heating them up and pressing them on to the stub axle)

Best Regards
PS attachment; 1 photo I found online where they removed the collar, the other photo of my stub axles
Attachments
IMG_2311.JPG
IMG_0297.jpg
dinoverde
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by dinoverde »

you do not need to heat the rings(or if so only very lightly.. the shaft is tempered and you do not want to alter that)..You will need a very good press and cut out some thick plates(half moons) to be able to grab under the ring. then you just press down on the axle end.make sure you have a padded box under to catch it all..pressing it back is the reverse process..
I have done it before and the rings that dino parts sale will work..they are the proper diameter..
H