Gearbox noise

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Benz 116 w
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Gearbox noise

Post by Benz 116 w »

Hello Fellows,

Did/does anybody has problem with the ZF gearbox? Mine - after the clutch cable and pressure plate were replaced - makes a cracking noise - similar to when putting into reverse accidentally while moving forward. But only when the engine has been running for more than 7-8 minutes. With cold engine changing gear is okay, after that almost impossible. Georg from this forum thinks it may be a pedal adjustment problem, my mechanic says we should change the transmission oil, because the lubrication is less with the warm oil. We shall do both, but does anybody have other ideas? Please share.

Thanks, Zsolt
Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Gearbox noise

Post by Dinoswede »

I have a different suggestion:

If the small bearing in center of the flywheel (number 24940440, page A1.03) is defect,
you could get this, or similar gear change problems.
When gearbox is cold, the lubricant makes some resistance, so when pushing down
the clutch pedal, the ingoing gearbox shaft stops, and a gear change is possible.

When the gearbox warms up, the defect bearing 24940440 keeps the ingoing gearbox shaft
spinning along with the engine speed, although you have pushed the clutch pedal down -
which makes a gear change more or less impossible.

Dinoswede
Benz 116 w
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Gearbox noise

Post by Benz 116 w »

Thank you Dinoswede. Today we have done the pedal/cable adjustment and the oil change. It is much better - even when warm - but not perfect. As winter is coming, the car will be kept out of the streets, but next spring I will have the gearbox/spywheel examined closely. The best bet so far:-)