Brake master cylinder, 2.0L

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

jelliott
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Brake master cylinder, 2.0L

Post by jelliott »

Are rebuild kits available anywhere for the 2.0L master cylinder? Or does anyone know if the o-ring nearest the booster is the same as the 2.4L's master cylinder (or any other car)?

Mine was freshly rebuilt when I bought the car (I guess that was over a decade ago now...), and for years I ignored the ever-dropping fluid level in the rear circuit's reservoir because I knew there was a leak in the unpressurized hoses between the reservoir and the MC—imagine my surprise when I finally repaired that leak and the fluid level kept dropping! So I have to assume that it's leaking into the booster. (Coincidentally, I had the same thing happen with a brand-new master cylinder on a Mercedes-Benz truck of similar vintage a few years ago, and I fixed that by transplanting that one o-ring from the old master cylinder! [But I don't have an old MC to steal o-rings from in this case.]) And now it's disappearing at rate that requires bleeding the brakes if I let the car sit for more than a month—fixing it has taken on a newfound urgency because I need to move the Dino to a neighbor's garage to make room for another car here, such that it will almost certainly sit for a matter of months, and I really don't want to have to bleed the brakes when the time comes to take it out of the neighbor's garage!

Thanks,
Joe
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Brake master cylinder, 2.0L

Post by Georg »

Hey Joe, Casa del Freno https://www.casafreno.com/ in Modena / Italy offers spare parts for and repair of the brake master cylinder, including new master cylinders.
The master cylinder for the 2.0 Spider (with VIN 526 and above) and for the 2.4 Spider should be the same.
Be careful, the brake fluid leaking into to brake booster will destroy the rubber membrane inside the booster. Do not wait too long to fix this.
Georg
jelliott
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by jelliott »

Georg wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:31 pm The master cylinder for the 2.0 Spider (with VIN 526 and above) and for the 2.4 Spider should be the same.
Is the same true of Coupes, i.e. would rebuild kits listed as being for 2.4 cars have the o-ring I need for 2.0 Coupe #2552?
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Georg »

I recommend that you call Luciano Mazzini at Casa di Freno (Mobil +39 334 2911923 or office +39 059 284471). Or send him a mail at tecnico@casafreno.com if you do not speak italian. He is the expert concerning brakes and spare parts. My personal knowledge refers only to the Dinos 2.4.