Wiring electric window motor

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Wiring electric window motor

Post by bhiggins2 »

I just received a new electric window motor from Superformance. The new motor has two wires, one red and one black. The old motor has 4 wires coming out of it and 4 corresponding wires in the harness to the switch. I saw in the Forum Library archive a sketch of a 2 wire motor with 2 relays and a well labelled wiring diagram with 4 relays. Do I need to add 4 more relays? Does anyone sell a direct replacement 4 wire motor or is the modification necessary if you have a bad 4 wire motor? Thanks in advance, Ben.
1967 Dino coupe
Georg
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Re: Wiring electric window motor

Post by Georg »

Ben, this is an electrical window motor for the Dino 2400 Coupé. It has and it only needs two supplying wires, electrical grounding is via the door / car body. I assume that this same system applies also to the Coupé 2000. I do not see any reason why there should be four wires supplying the motor.
Georg
Attachments
IMG_2208.JPG
IMG_2206.JPG
Dinoswede
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Dinoswede »

In the 2 Litre Dino Electrical wiring Diagram, you can see the electrical window motors having
separate windings for the different operating directions. See the enclosed wiring diagram close-up
pics, taken from the second series 2 Litre Spider (for which electrical windows became a very
rare, but availible option).

No 81 is left switch, no 83 is right switch.
No 74 is left window motor, no 75 is right window motor.

IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4448.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG

According to the 2 Litre Spare Parts Catalogue, the same electrical motor was used in both Coupes
and Spiders (no 4170470).
The 2 Litre Coupes used a Ducellier 3-way switch, but, as far as I have been able to find out, for
the Spider, Pininfarina used a switch looking like the 2,4 Dino Coupé switches - but with a chrome
frame added.
A two-cable electrical motor design means, you connect +12 Volt and ground through the switch
to the two cables. No further ground connection is needed. For change of the motor operation
direction, you just switch the polarity.
So, you must have an electrical window switch, able to change polarity, or adapt the original Ducellier
switch, maybe by adding relays to the circuit.

Dinoswede
Last edited by Dinoswede on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

I have been using the 2400 wiring diagram for electric windows as my 2000 wiring diagrams don't have the electric windows. The original motor has some sort of relay mounted on the end of it and is all potted in a plastic coating. I'm going to try the after market relay setup as described in the library as the new motor just has the two wires. Maybe it will move the window faster, especially if I make a better ground? Does anyone know how important it is to have the cables wound on the drum so that they don't overlap? That is proving tricky to get them wound perfectly flat and parallel to each other, top and bottom. A previous owner pried off one of the top cable roller wheels and stuck it back on the pressed in axle but they did so much damage to the center of the roller that it wasn't going to turn and the cable came off, and it was a mess. I was able to take a bolt-on early 1980s Alfa Romeo spider window cable roller and retrofit it to the Dino coupe. Thanks for the help.
Luis A
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Luis A »

You can cook your own solution with relays to shorten the current path to the window motor or you can buy these boxes to do the same thing:

http://rodneydickman.com/product_info.p ... ucts_id=91

They are completely sealed and work as advertised. I installed one on my driver's window and sped it up. Of course, the cabling, pulleys and guides have to be in good working order to obtain the maximum benefit.

The "relay" you are referring to, if it looks like the one on my motor pictured below, is actually a thermal breaker which will trip if too much current passes through.
IMG_7669.JPG
Attachments
IMG_7670.JPG
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

I am still working on my driver's side electric window. It looks like two turns of the wire in each direction on the drum results in the proper travel for the window, up and down.

I have some wear on the plastic gear and before it gets so bad that it will no longer work, I'd like to make some new gears. I am assuming that the large plastic gear in the window winder transmission [electric window] is made of un-obtainum. Does anyone know if the steel shaft is pressed onto the plastic gear or whether the plastic gear is cast onto the steel shaft? I'd like to cast some new plastic gears if the metal shaft can be separated from the plastic gear without breaking the plastic. Photos attached.
Attachments
20200728_115347.jpg
20200728_115207.jpg
20200728_115147.jpg