Gas pedal position in relation to brake pedal

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Gas pedal position in relation to brake pedal

Post by bhiggins2 »

When I bought my 1967 Dino coupe it had a gas pedal issue. It appears as though the pedal arm was rubbing on the carpet and insulation on the transmission tunnel which resulted in a torsional force on the pivot point on the firewall. Instead of just moving backwards and forwards it was twisting as well. The twisting actually weakened and tore the sheet metal on the firewall. The result was a sloppy gas pedal and the car was not really driveable. Welding would have been difficult and I likely would have set the car on fire. If I ever pull the engine and all the under coating/insulation on the inside of the firewall in the future, I will weld it up, and probably still keep my backing plate solution. My solution was a metal sandwich. 3/8" aluminum plate on the inside of the firewall with new longer studs and a heavy gauge steel plate in the engine compartment cut to follow existing contours of the firewall and painted black. It is rock solid now. I need help with the position of the gas pedal in relation to the brake pedal. Maybe the factory worker got the weld wrong on the gas pedal linkage and that caused the problem from day one? It still rubs a bit on the carpet on the transmission tunnel. I can't tell if the welds on the pedal linkage are factory or if someone has made a modification in the past. I'm happy with the forward and backward alignment of the gas pedal now and it contacts the stop on the floor in what looks like an acceptable position. Right now, the gas pedal is just a bit over 1" away from the brake pedal at the closest distance. Could someone check their gas pedal to brake pedal distance and let me know if I need to make an adjustment or if this is correct. I've attached some photos. If it is way off, is there someone in the USA that might have a spare gas pedal linkage they could lend me so I have a reference with which to work? I'm afraid with the current distance there is a chance of catching the corner of the gas pedal when depressing the brake if I am not really careful. The photo with the black triangle is the steel piece that fits on the engine side of the firewall. I forgot to take a photo with it installed in the engine compartment. It looks better installed. I've been playing around with reproducing some of the non-available plastic bits and the black plastic piece is a reproduction of the original. The original was getting chalky. Thanks, Ben. Galveston, Texas.
Attachments
DSC_0247.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG
20200804_174056.jpg
20200730_162311.jpg
20200730_162137.jpg
20200730_173006.jpg
20200730_162455.jpg
4cambob

Re: Gas pedal position in relation to brake pedal

Post by 4cambob »

Hi Ben, this is mine.
Attachments
20200806_131824.jpg
bhiggins2

Re: Gas pedal position in relation to brake pedal

Post by bhiggins2 »

Great! It looks like I am close to spec.
Thanks, Ben.