Cam sprocket pins

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

bhiggins2
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Cam sprocket pins

Post by bhiggins2 »

Can anyone tell me how to remove the cam sprocket pins? Part #3 on the attached photo. They have a 4 mm x 0.7 thread pitch, right hand threaded center. From photos and drawings, the exterior appears to be smooth. Are they just held in position by friction? If I pull them out with a slide hammer, are they meant to be re-used or discarded and replaced with new ones? Thanks, Ben.
Attachments
Cam sprocket pin.jpg
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Cam sprocket pins

Post by ThomasK »

Absolutely right!

The threaded center is there to remove and mount them. A long Screw or better a Slidehammer works, not very much force needed. Make sure nothing falls into the engine! Tighten chain tensioner before to avoid it falls into the engine. I always put pressure on the chain, then tighten the tensioner so the chain is „loose“ then remove pins and chain gears.

You can reuse the Pins.
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

Thanks for the confirmation of pin removal technique.
I also found some info on Ferrari Chat which said you can drive the pins out from the back with a punch. That sound like a good way to loose a pin into the engine. On twin cam Alfa Romeos, we stuff a towel or rags in the opening under the chain to keep from losing bits into the engine. Also on Ferrari Chat someone did a step by step [with photos] removal of cams and cylinder head which might be helpful to someone on this digest in the future. https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threa ... al.228842/
abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by abarth4 »

If they're anything like the old air cooled Porsche 911 cam sprocket pins were... a spark plug end has the correct threads and is handy to grab onto when removing the pin! :lol:
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
bhiggins2

Post by bhiggins2 »

I will certainly investigate the spark plug threaded tip idea. Thanks, Ben.