2.4 Dino ZF Gearbox ID

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

abarth4
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

2.4 Dino ZF Gearbox ID

Post by abarth4 »

Does anyone have a photo of a Dino ZF gearbox nameplate and an overall photo of the gearbox? I'm especially looking at the input shaft length/size. I have a ZF S5-18/3 gearbox that I believe came out of a Fiat Dino but since this box was used in multiple applications I'd like to confirm what I have would be plug and play. Photo of the nameplate on mine is attached.
Thanks
Charlie

Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Fiat Dino Spider 2400 #1186
abarth4

Re: 2.4 Dino ZF Gearbox ID

Post by abarth4 »

A little more internet digging shows different ratios on the nameplate on a known 2.4 Dino box .... My bet is this box is out of a somewhat different application.
Charlie
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
abarth4

Post by abarth4 »

Maybe I've answered my own question here.... Looks likely that it's out of a Maserati BiTurbo. Photo of BiTurbo nameplate attached. Everything matches up on the nameplate from the ratios to the part number (...209)

Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA
Georg

Post by Georg »

Hi Charlie, your gearbox has ratios that do not match with the original settings, neither of a Fiat Dino nor the FIAT 130.
Do you have a photo of the complete gearbox so I can tell you if it’s been fitted for the Maserati? This version has a longer “neck” where the gear shift lever is mounted.
Are you looking for a gearbox? I have one left, refurbished at ZF services and equipped with the longer 5th gear, 1:0.79.
Georg
abarth4

Post by abarth4 »

Thanks Georg! Not currently looking for a gearbox though. I appreciated the support you've given to the group through the years. I've pretty much nailed down that it came from a Maserati BiTurbo. By the time I finished my research. it's apparent that these gearboxes were used in a number of different cars and have a large following in the vintage mototsport world.
Charlie
Charlie Bates
Metamora Illinois, USA