Fuel consumption?

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Fuel consumption?

Post by ThomasK »

If you still have the original configuration, meaning in/out valve size, camshaft, carbs etc. you should not come over 15l/100km.
Have you checked the float level and is it correct?

Regarding the rear wheels: they are harder to rotate than the front wheels because you have to move the differential and the propshaft.
But it should not be very strong. Of course if the brakes are stuck you will consume more fuel, but then you will nearly not be able to rotate the wheels by hand and they will get hot for sure.

When CO is OK, this means "only" that this is OK for idle or a bit above. When you drive, other parts of the fuel system come in place, like the float level, the main valves and also the main air ciorrection valves. So it is a good idea to check all these - and for sure also the choke system - it could hang also and give you a very rich mixture cauisng high fuel consumption.

KR, Thomas
Dino1239
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by Dino1239 »

Hi Dario,

I remember Mike Elliot being quite adament about fitting a new fuel pressure regulator as the fuel pumps are very powerful and can blow through the carbs leading to bore wash.

Cheers
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi,

After measuring fuel consumption on a longish drive (300 Km on twisty back roads), I come up with a more reasonable 18 L/100 km. The plugs are not sooty, and the engine starts and idles fine (at 1000 rpm). I think the next step is to instal a pressure regulator as suggested. I am surprised that this Dino does not have one, though it seems the early 2400 were different according to Mike Morris' book. The aluminium fuel lines in the engine bay look original and are nicely routed directly towards the carbs.

Does anybody have suggestions as to which pressure regulator would be best, or maybe one for sale?

Thanks,

Dario
ThomasK

Post by ThomasK »

Hi,
it seems, that there are some 2400 Coupés having a pressure regulator, some not, but theres is no documentation about this.
Although the 2400 Coupés have a fuel back line and therefore a pressure regulator is not so necessary as without this, the correct fuel pressure is important, as the needle valves are only able to hold until a certain pressure.

I have built in a Filter King Pressure regulator and can recommend these.
They also have a built in filter - what is also important as the Dino normally only have some sieves but no filters.

KR Thomas
Dario

Post by Dario »

Thanks, I was also under the impression that one did not need a pressure regulator if you have a return line, but maybe there is a kink in the latter that increases pressure. I installed a fuel filter next to the pump, but I will now remove it and follow your advice and instal the filter/regulator and see. I'll post back with the results!