Cromadora wheels

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Cromadora wheels

Post by robmurray »

My Dino Coupe still has what I assume to be its original 47 year old wheels. I have read that these magnesium alloy wheels become brittle and, therefore, unsafe. Should I keep them in use?
Thanks
Rob
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Cromadora wheels

Post by Tobi »

Nearly all of us do so. But it would of course be smart to check them for cracks regularly.
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Mag alloy wheels can become brittle, original Minilites are a good example. A lot though depends on the amount of magnesium in the alloy and for an application originally designed for the road (v competition a la Minilite) I think the wheels will be be robust. Perhaps contact Cromodora (http://www.cromodorawheels.it) and put the question to them?
mostromilano
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by mostromilano »

The original wheels were, I believe, the "Elektron" alloy. They aren't as susceptible to cracking as they are corrosion - especially on the inside of the rim where the brake pad/rotor dust would be ejected. That, coupled with non-correct wheel balance weights (galvanic action), can cause the pimple and crater type corrosion that is common for mag wheels. Next time you have your wheels off, check the inside of the wheel where the brake dust would hit first.

DO NOT sandblast the wheels. If you do, they will have to be chemically dipped (Dow 17) again. That process is expensive and is similar to anodizing (but more expensive!!).

The best procedure for repairing and refinishing these wheels, if they are not too badly corroded, is to 1) thoroughly clean, 2) use an inert epoxy style filler in the imperfections (pockmarks, chips on rim, curb damage), 3) prime and paint with same type system (i.e. matched formula) paints. Avoid clear-coating the wheels if you want an original appearing finish. After painting desired color, re-mount tires without the gripper-style mounting devices as commonly found in tire shops and also avoid using clamp-on weights - instead use the adhesive backed plate style on the inside rim. Happy motoring...
rossnzwpi
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by rossnzwpi »

Here is a link to an illustrated guide to refinishing Dino wheels:
http://stevekouracos.com/restoration/ti ... storation/
Cheers
Ross