Dino 2400 Coupe -71

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Dino 2400 Coupe -71

Post by Barnfind »

JPohja wrote:Shims, ok. Like my Quattro. Not my job :(

There is a leak somewhere in exhaust manifold, I can hear it even when engine is warm. This can cause puffing too. Got to check it tomorrow.
When key is turned to "ON" position, fuelpump does not rotate, turning it 1mm more it rotates, maybe ignition switch is worn little.
Idling is uneven too so carbs has to be adjusted, have not got any airflow meter, what are you quys using?

There is a little play in steering too. In middle not so bad but when turned to limit, big play. Steering box has no play so where does this come??

I love it allready :)
Steering boxeswork like that. No play in the middle, but it grows as you turn the weel. Check anyway for dead track rods.

You can find a flow meter in Superformance, or eBay. It is quite easy to do, if yuo are used to carbs basic principles. First you check balancing in individual carbs, that is, chack une venturi, then the other, and close the bolt of the venturi that reads higher. (or open the lower Reading if the other bolt is already closed) Once you have all three carbs balanced individual, start with the middle one, check the Reading, go to the right, check there. Loosen the nuts of the rod and adjust to get the same Reading of the middle one. Bear in mind that the idle will change as you play with the carbs, so probably the Reading of the middle one has changed. Repeat until middle and right are equal. Do the same with the left. Done. Next is idle mixture. wind up mixture bolts (The ones with a spring) then loosen 1 1/2 turn. Make small changes individually to see if the idle changes. You whant the highest idle. Easiest of all, buy a couple of Colortune, a sort of clear spark plug, to see the combustión color. You want light blue. It is worth to try, you really feel good when the whole thing starts sounding tuned..
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

About the noise, it sounds to me like tappets, but it is hard to tell. Could be normal noise, depends on recording condition. But it is worth to check them anyway, along with all things stated before. It is a quite expensive engine to rebuild..

By the way, welcome..
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Thank you :)
Now it's 4 days off work so time to see what I have purchased. Starting first with driver side electric window, not working. Then removing alarm system and aftermarket stereos, huge holes in back :(. What radio was assemled from factory?

Have bee driving 100km today, it*s fantastic to drive curved tarmac roads!!
Dario

Post by Dario »

Hi Jukka,

It sounds like the valve clearances might be a little too high, but not terrible. Too high valve clearances will reduce power, but it's less dangerous then if they are too low. This can prevent the valves from closing properly and lead to burning the valves. I (like others) found the hardest part to be removing the right side valve cover bolts at the back. If you place a jack under the transmission and unbolt the rear support, you can lift it a cm or two, and lean the engine forwards a little. This increases the clearance behind the engine and allows you to preserve fingers and sanity. A 10mm rachet spanner is a good thing to have. A thin film of sealant and thicker valve cover gaskets go a long way towards avoiding oil leaks which invariably drip onto the hot exhaust manifolds later on. Concerning the carbs, you can only adjust the idle, idle mixture, and air balance on these models. For anything more, you need to change jets, emulsion tubes, etc. I find that a air meter and two colotune plugs to be a great way to do it. Make sure that the emulsion tubes are not bent because this makes for poor performance when running. Before doing the carbs, I recommend checking the advance curve on the distributor. They are not means to be used horizontally and tend to wear prematurely. You need a timing light with an adjustable advance, or take the distributor to someone with a special machine.

Hope this helps,

Dario
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Thanks, will need those instructions later. Spent half of day changing rear lights. Everything was stuck and did not apart un broken :(. Specially middle sections of rear lenses (2 per side), Do I find somewhere for sale?
Then left electric window, cable is not proberly in motor's winding drum, where to find pic how it supposed to be there? How to remove motor and cable drum?

At least all lights are working now and lots of stereo cable is removed, still four speakers in rear window shelf..

jukka
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Here is pic of cable routing now.
Attachments
WP_20150619_21_15_20_Pro.jpg
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Window regulator repaired and tail lights repaired (glued), Interior vacuumed and washed. Now its comfortable to sit in :)

Engine/trans has lots of oil leaks, dropping to ground too. I am not exactly sure where it comes because every part is covered with oil. See link below.
http://harrasteet.1g.fi/kuvat/Fiat+Dino ... 15/Engine/

One exhaust seal is leaking too, dont know which one, cannot see..

Maybe I just drive this summer when weather is nice and take engine off next vinter. Is it coming up or down (with transmission)?
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

What oil you are using in 2400 Coupe? Oil pressure seems to be little low? 60 with revs and warm idle near 0. Oil light not flashing. Problem with pump or meter?
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

JPohja wrote:What oil you are using in 2400 Coupe?
I'd suggest a 20W50 regular mineral oil.
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Just changed it and its 20W50 mineral oil. To gear box I used 90 and to rear differential same 90. That might be problem because there is a "selbs tsperrende" differential. What should I use there?
Can I bought somewhere that 3 to 1 exhoust pipe? Its leaking and allready welded few times.