Choke cable

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Choke cable

Post by robmurray »

The choke cable on my 2000 Coupe pulls through the bulkhead rather than operating the chokes. It seems that I must be missing a part. Can anyone tell me or show a pic of what holds the cable in place in the engine compartment.
Many thanks
Rob
johnharrill
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Re: Choke cable

Post by johnharrill »

Going through the same thing on mine.
Went to a local bike shop and got a barrel adjuster for bicycle brakes. Poked it through the firewall and put a nut on the end.
It holds the sheath in place.

The problem I have is the routing of the cable produces rather severe angles. So the cable barely moves.

The original 2000 coupe cable had been severed; Too short. I found a throttle cable at my local hardware store that fits the original sheath, however.
johnharrill

Post by johnharrill »

I'm thinking the inner cable is too stiff.. :?:
mmmmoto
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by mmmmoto »

I just ran the choke cable on my 2000 coupe. It is a trick! I connected the cable to the lever in the dash, and routed out the firewall. It runs under the air filter along the right side of the carbs, and attaches to the butterflies in the air filter assembly. It was a %^$E%^ to figure out the correct logic to make it work, but we got it. Patience is a virtue!

Mikey
johnharrill

Post by johnharrill »

Is the cable passing through the fast-idle cams on the sides of the carbs?

I bought a choke cable for a Ferrari Dino, which is plenty long and will be trimmed to the correct length. But my problem is the cable exits the firewall directly behind the vacuum hard line. So it must bend around the line. Couple that with the passage through the bell cranks for the fast-idle cams, and the cable is heard to move.

Am contemplating re-locating the hole in the firewall.