Home rebuild project - Dino Spider 2.0 series II

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Home rebuild project - Dino Spider 2.0 series II

Post by Barnfind »

Following this thread with interest,as I will be soon doing the same job.

Thanks for sharing.
mostromilano
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by mostromilano »

Well, the machine shop verified that the heads are OK. They will get a general cleanup and new exhaust valve guides, stem seals, seats cleaned up, etc. etc. True low mileage heads so they only need a little attention.

Engine bay has been painted and is almost done being detailed for recommission. The looms, hard lines, and other bits.

DSCF1995.JPG
DSCF2003.JPG
DSCF2076.JPG
Sanding between coats
DSCF2078.JPG
DSCF2079.JPG
DSCF2080.JPG
DSCF2101.JPG
Voltage regulator was looking shabby, stripped and painted. Anyone know where to get a gasket for it off the shelf or do I need to make one?
DSCF2112.JPG

The magnesium stuff is on hold for now, I'm having trouble finding an outfit willing to do a small batch, the one I used previously now only deals with $1k line item minimums.

Also sourced some new braided cloth fuel line, Cavis green fuel line, various smooth-bore hose clamps, new loom clamps, new cotter pin clamps and banding, and a few other things. New and NOS parts are fun.
DSCF2108.JPG
Original break in sticker. Where can I get a reproduction?

DSCF2005.JPG
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Re: the heads; have you checked that the exhaust valves are sodium filled or solid stems?

Peter
mostromilano
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by mostromilano »

Guzzi wrote:Re: the heads; have you checked that the exhaust valves are sodium filled or solid stems?

Peter
They are original as the heads were never off. The stems are awfully small, it seems, to be sodium filled. Were ALL the valves in these motors sodium filled, in every series? Regardless, they will likely be reused. No measurable wear on any of the valves nor any indication of overheating or burning. Only the exhaust guides were .001 out of spec so will be replaced.
ThomasK
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by ThomasK »

During the complete rebuild of my engine I changed the exhaust valves to new ones with solid stems as I have heard that the sodium filled ones are prone to break... How is the experience here in the forum about that topic?

The Intake valves were re-used, as they were still OK.
Guzzi

Post by Guzzi »

Typically it would be just exhaust valves as they carry the most heat. Sodium filled valves were very popular around this time in many high performance applications, I know Ferrari and Maserati used them in the 246, 308 and Merak and my Guzzis had them. The issue seems to most affect engines with little use, and the cause seems to be fine lines of corrosion where the valves have been left exposed to air i.e. out of the valve guide for long periods. There may of course be no problems with yours but it's a known issue.
rossnzwpi
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by rossnzwpi »

Hi, with regard to that sticker/decal I suggest you tape a thick white piece of paper on the inside of the glass to make the image stand out. Photograph it in high resolution, avoiding any reflections. Try to get the camera perpendicular to the curvature of the image. In Photoshop it will be not too big a job to reverse the image, repair any distorted or missing bits and approximately "flatten it out". Providing millimetre correct dimensions will help too.
If you post such a photo and dimensions I'm happy to have a go at it in Photoshop and repost an image you could get made into a decal
cheers
Ross in NZ
iceblue
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Post by iceblue »

I would really great if someone would make the Breakin Sticker!
Is there one out there that can be replicated?
Gregoryp
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Gregoryp »

I wanted to see if you have made any progress on your engine reassembly. I'm in the process of putting one back together and was curious if anyone uses any type of sealant on the head gaskets around the head studs an water jacket openings?
Gus
Dino: No Dino (yet)

Post by Gus »

iceblue wrote:I would really great if someone would make the Breakin Sticker!
Is there one out there that can be replicated?
I can do it. If anyone cares to give me the size of the original width by height.