Fiat Dino Air Vents

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Re: Fiat Dino Air Vents

Post by Stefan2000 »

Good to hear Barnfind!
I was also quite happy with the end product but before making more a second opinion was important.
The only real drawback is what you say the price, I expected it to become a bit expensive in first place and I wish I could say that I make a lot of money on it but unfortunately that's not really the case. To make it cheaper per piece the other option was to make moulds (6pieces) and that would have been a huge investment and i would have some thousand air vents here lying around in my house for years. But yeah, better an expensive option than no option at all i think.

Anyway, for those interested or in need some day, the price is €380,- for the set of 2 air vents. They are complete with knob, membrane etc. etc.
I spray-paint them with a special 2-component plastic coating in RAL9001 cream white. I know the ones that are in the car, and the headlining, is/became more yellow'ish than RAL9001 but i compared it with brand new headlining i have in another restored car and than 9001 comes really close. If you would prefer another color just let me know the RAL color and i will do my best to paint them in that specific color.

Concerning the other black parts for the rear passenger side grids, i just had some other parts manufactured in black. It looks ok for certain parts but it's much more matte or flat looking than the original side grids. I think patrizio, if you can have them made in black it would be good as a base color but i think it would also need a good plasic coating to make it really look like original.
IMG_5827.JPG
IMG_5827.JPG (45.89 KiB) Viewed 13590 times
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Unfortunately I have not yet received the file of the grid, so that I can not request a quote.
Also I am waiting impatiently :?
As for the material, I thought to realize the grids in aluminum by 3D printing system.
I fear that if they are made of ABS or plastic, they become too brittle and the heat of the rear light would risk damaging as the original.
I expect that the cost will not be cheap :roll:
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Do you have the main dimensions of the grid, length/width/height? Most of the time they calculate the price according to volume of the bounding box so if you have these dimensions I can make an estimate.
I would just choose to make one out of ABS or Nylon, put a light bulb in there (maybe some more watt's than the original bulb) and let it burn for a day or so and see what happens. If it's passing the test it's ok, if not you can still make it out of aluminum.
About getting brittle and strength, only time will tell, I made these black choke/heater handles and tried to do a destructive test on them to check the strength.... I stopped applying more force at the point where I thought I would twist the whole steel arm it's clamped on.
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

The grid that you have made is smaller in size than that posed beside the rear passenger.
Above all, there are the opening mechanism of the rear window and the opening for the lamp that weaken the whole, IMHO, making it brittle.
As the CAD designer will have prepared the design, I will provide to make a precise estimate, since the cost they told me that it depends not only on the size of the object but also on its relative position with the support surface of the 3D printer.
I hope to give you news soon ;)
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

These are the first drafts ....

mbedlam

Post by mbedlam »

Wow!
Excellent work Patrizio!
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

It must still be refined, but I think I'm on the right way ...
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Looking good Patrizio!
Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Post by Barnfind »

What about a LED light to prevent heat?

Just an idea. My 2400 does not have that..
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Change the original bulb lamp to fit the LED lamp?
It is an idea ...
;)