Oil type

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

rkjcooper1
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Oil type

Post by rkjcooper1 »

Have read varied opinions about oil types.
Any advice from anyone using there car a lot and doing lots of oil changes?
Mineral or Synthetic
What weight 20w/50 ok for south of france with warm weather

Thanks in advance..
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Oil type

Post by Tobi »

20W/50 mineral is perfect
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Since my father bought the Dino Coupé in the early 70's he has always used oil Fiat VS Corse (expensive at the time) and after oil SINT 2000 10W40 (in the 80s).
Never had any problem.
I believe that today the Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is a valuable product.
Dinofanwim

Post by Dinofanwim »

To all,

If your car has always been using mineral oil, be carefull when changing over to modern synthetic oil.

Mineral oil leaves a deposit in the engine.

When you start using synthetic oil, these deposits or sludge, may detach and can block oil channels.
Of course I don't have to explain what damage this can cause!
Please see the following: http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Rea ... neral-oils

Once you have made sure of the above mentioned remarks, a very good oil is the Castrol Magnatec, as suggested by Patrizio.
A good property of this oil, is that it has intelligent molucules which will protect your engine during the critical warming-up period of your Dino engine!
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".

Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

Wim is right about the mineral oil. synthetic oil should only be used for a completely rebuilt engine.
Regarding the intelligent molecules, this is only marketing blah or technical homeopathy - bullshit if it has to be said in one word. Only intelligent drivers can protect the engine during the critical warmup period ;)
patrizio

Post by patrizio »

Exact specification of Wim!
The transition from the VS Corse oil to Sint 2000 took place after rebuilding the main bearings of my engine in the early 80's !!
With regard to the properties of the oil Castrol, I suggested, I also do not believe to its "homeopathic" property :D , but I found that it is an excellent oil.
In the case of Dino engine, especially for aluminum 2000cc version, I agree with Tobi that the only precaution to preserve it is that his driver makes a lot of attention to start-up and warm up before bring them up speed rev.
In Italy there is an old proverb that says: "the eye of the master fattens the donkey" ;)
Dinofanwim

Post by Dinofanwim »

As regard to modern oils and fuels, there was a recent statement from the Scuderia Ferrari.

Hereby the article:
A large part of that gain has been put down to the engine, following extensive development over the winter, but the influence of fuel and lubricants is also significant.
With the regulations allowing for in-season development on the engine, Shell has delivered five new blends of fuel to coincide with power unit upgrades from Ferrari.
"We always planned to undertake an aggressive development programme with Ferrari this year and it has culminated in five new fuel formulations over the year," Shell innovation manager Guy Lovett told Autosport.
"Putting them all together, that gives 25 per cent of the overall performance gain of the power unit has been delivered from our fuel and oils, which is a substantial margin.
"In real terms, that equates to almost half a second a lap on an average circuit, which is approximately 30 seconds over an average race distance.

Of course the smell of the old mineral oil was very nice, but we all the same should embrace modern technology. :)
La passione per tutti creazone!
Alfre"dino", che significa tanto a suo padre Enzo!
Poi ha lanciato suo padre Enzo, il marchio "Dino".