2400 transmision noise when starting

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

Barnfind
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

2400 transmision noise when starting

Post by Barnfind »

Hi to everybody.

In the very first run in the last 15 years, I noticed a "clonk" every time I depressed the clutch in gear. It seems to come from the prop shaft, or the diff.. The u joint of the shaft looks ok. Also both transmissions look fine. I am changing all 5 ujoints anyway. Any advice for the diff?

I could put my hands on a fiat 130. Could it be worth? I know the final ratio is higher on the 130, but could it be a real option? What about the rear shocks? they look pretty mucho the same..

Thanks in advance..
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: 2400 transmision noise when starting

Post by Argonaut »

At least on the differential I can give you feedback as one of my mechanics once placed a used Fiat 130 differential in my 2.4 Dino Spider. The result is... do not do this. The ratio on the 2.4 Dino is 9/43 and on the Fiat 130 11/41.
This results in a quite "normal" driving experience in the lower gears (1-3). But the 4th and 5th gear does not really show any power anymore taking away the spirit of the Dino completely.

Adjusting the differential (once causing noises) is a "pain-in-the-ass" job but worth doing so... some are not adjustable at all.
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

Thanks a lot.

I have not found any info about overhauling the differential. Anything out there?
Argonaut
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Post by Argonaut »

Overhauling depends on what is worn out within the differential; if it is about the major parts (teeth are damaged)... then I assume... overhauling is close to impossible. Mainly differentials suffer from the right alignment of the crownwheel or the wheels connected with it. If they are not aligned then they do start making some noise... this happens every now and then to differentials. In case the teeth are not damaged the procedure is to open it... adjust them... close it again, filling in the oil and test drive it. This process might be redone again and again... this costs time and money...

So my suggestion... open it up and get first an idea whether there is a damage at all..
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

You should first try to find out where the noise is coming from. When I read your question, it seems that it is only an idea that it might come from the differential.
Stefan2000
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Post by Stefan2000 »

+1
Put the car on a lift and let someone put it in forward/reverse and let him play with the clutch while you stand underneath to locate the noise.
Could also be somewhere in the clutch, axle joints, driveshafts etc.etc.
Barnfind

Post by Barnfind »

With the wheels in the air, moving left and right by hand the shaft, it sounds clonck on the diff side. U joints are checked and seem to be correct. There is a small play in the spline of the gbox side, but I would say the noise is not coming from there.
The car sounds correct then cruising. Also the u joints from the 2 wheel shafts are correct (and new by now).

I will disconnect the prop shsft ffrom the gbox and try to isolate the noise..