Early 2000 cam follower update

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

croker
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Early 2000 cam follower update

Post by croker »

I was going to change the followers on my early 2000 to the later type. The reason is to make the valve adjustment a quicker job. However, someone said it doesnt help because the head casting is different on the early heads and the shim removal tool does not work as there is not enough clearance.
Does any else know about this or has does the modification?
If it does work, are the valves a different length and is there any other issues I should be aware of?
I was also told by CatCams that the earlier followers were better for this engine....any thought???
Stefan2000

Re: Early 2000 cam follower update

Post by Stefan2000 »

I don't know, but I would never replace them.
The early ones are 'better' because they weigh less because the small shim weighs less, and less weight going up and down with 8000 rpm reduces valve float, every gram you can save up there is 'better'. I don't see much reason to replace them, almost all cars with buckets produced today use these small underbucket shims and I never hear anybody about exchanging them, all motorcycles have them....
My opinion....spend an extra 2 hours ones in 10 years doing your valve adjustment and spend the 3 weeks you save on converting (heads off, valves, lifters) and the money involved on a holyday.
One and really the only reason I would prefer the later style is: When you replace your cams do to wear you only need to replace the sims instead of the complete follower.
GaryS

Re: Early 2000 cam follower update

Post by GaryS »

Another advantage of the early style cam followers is using slightly longer (3mm I believe) valve guides. The extra length of the guide certainly buys a little extra time before valve stem to guide clearance becomes excessively sloppy. Also note that early valves have a longer stem (over all length) as well to work with the longer guide without inteference on compression. Technically the above applies, practically there is no perceptible difference what so ever! Stick with what you have.
Gary