Drive train vibration

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

robmurray
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Drive train vibration

Post by robmurray »

My 2000 Coupe has a serious vibration and rumbling in the drive train. At low speed it feels almost like a knocking - like a bearing that has gone. At high speeds it is a rumbling. You can feel it through the seat - quite noticeable. I think it is coming from the rear axle but not sure. I'm assuming diff or rear wheel bearing. I need to get it sorted.
Any theories?
Thanks
Rob
Dario
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Drive train vibration

Post by Dario »

Hi Rob,

There are some probable causes to explore, but you need to pinpoint the problem. Does the rumbling go away if you have the car rolling at speed and (a) press the clutch while leaving the gear in place or (b) place the car in neutral and release the clutch? How about if you coast with no or little throttle? If you put the rear of the car on jack stands, you can check out the rubber coupler and make sure that none of the bolts came loose. While there, check the one in front of the diff. Check the play in the rear wheels to see if it's worn wheel bearings, then drain the oil in the diff to see if there's any metal in it. You can also start the car while it's on the jacks and check out underneath if you see something out of true or making the noise. Clunking would be worn semi-axles from the diff, but it shouldn't rumble while driving.

good luck!

Dario
robmurray

Post by robmurray »

Got it all sorted.
Two UJs in propshaft replaced and whole propshaft balanced.
Car transformed!
Reading the other thread, it doe seem that propshafts are key on these cars.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Great, that will make driving these cars sooo much more fun!
These propshafts are indeed key for any noticeable vibration in the car, if the shaft is perfect these cars should drive like every car that just left the factory.
Just had my shaft done as well. Biggest problem was finding a serious company to have it done right. Ran into many truck and trailer part companies with big guys using big hammers but I've found a place with an old chap doing this job for over 40 years with state of the art machines repairing and balancing it to perfection. If anyone is looking for a good company to have it's shaft done right I can recommend them and get them in touch. It's not easy to find the right people for these kind of jobs anymore.