Ignition Dinoplex / MSD / etc.

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

JeremyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Ignition Dinoplex / MSD / etc.

Post by JeremyC »

My car (early 2.0 Coupe) has no Dinoplex though it does have the holes in the inner wing.

Currently I'm leaning towards fitting an MSD 6a however I thought I'd just go looking for other solutions and opinions. It seems that 103 Dinoplexes are fairly readily available (Superformance list them) so I could maybe fit one of these though my assumption is that they are not as capable as the MSD. Easy starting and good running are more important to me than originality and the MSD looks 'right' if not original.

Or what else is out there?
Tobi
Site Admin
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: Ignition Dinoplex / MSD / etc.

Post by Tobi »

Refer to this site for detailed information: www.dinoplex.org
The Dinoplex of superformance is only a replica with different innards. The MSD works good, but not better than a good Dinoplex. Try to get a Dinoplex 101. Used ones are available and can be repaired if they are not working. The appopriate coil BZR 205A is harder to find. Better look for a Dinoplex that is sold with coil.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

The ignition guru here (Adrian) did quite some research and testing and recommends a bosch inductive ignition as can be found on dinoplex.org
There is also a list of good and bad point about different conversions and I think the superformance dinoplex is on the weak side. On the list are a lot of ignition systems with there good and bad points so you can decide what you think would be best for you.
I have an MSD system on my dino but it's triggered by a 123 ignition, works perfect. Having it triggered by the points system works but it's a bit more difficult to setup right and it needs some maintenance.
I have reproduced dinoplex AEC103 cases where you can built in whatever you think is best, unfortunately not the AEC101 because I could not get my hands on one of them yet for a reasonable price. If you go for the bosch conversion and want to built it into a AEC103 case let me know.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Hi Jeremy.

As Tobi says - read all you need to know from Adrian at www.dinoplex.org

I gutted my dinoplex and replaced the innards with his Bosch module setup and converted to a Lumenition optical pickup
http://www.dinoplex.org/PDF/Wiring_Ferr ... Pickup.pdf

I would think that's cheaper than an MSD, The Bosch module is found on Volvos I think. You do need the correct coil and the Lumenition pickup parts, also the right plugs for this type of ignition (iridium). Inside the distributor is probably the trickiest thing - i.e. to mount the pickup.

Opinions always vary on how to do this, but this ticked all the boxes for me.
- Looks original, but works better than original and is much more reliable
- easily obtained parts
- optical not magnetic, which I have had little success with
- not a fan of MSD - whose multi-sparking thing I found of little value on Alfas therefore didn't try on the Fiat.

My own experience forces me to warn you that the mechanical working of your distributor is the most crucial aspect. It has a hard life hanging out on the end of the camshaft and wears out. MSD, Bosch etc do not take care of advance/retard so you're still reliant on the distributor for that and it has to be working right. Stefan has solved that problem by somehow mounting the 123ignition distributor, a great solution.

Good luck,

-Richard
JPohja

Post by JPohja »

Stefan, what 123 modell you are using?
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

Can't remember, a 6 cylinder version for Mercedes I think. I took the shortest one available because of clearance with the radiator.
Thinking about building it into my Marelli distributor though, I think it would even be easier because you would not have to make a flange and drive carrier etc. etc. and it looks better.
But in my opinion it would be worth to consider such a conversion (but I'm not an expert like Adrian) because setting up your advance mechanism perfectly is a total pain in the ass (and I even have a sun distributor tester). I rebuilt my original distributor completely, changed springs by different suspension rates/lengths but at some point I gave up, and that usually takes multiple days.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Thanks folks, most interesting.

I've owned a car with that Bosch unit, a 'classic' Saab 900.

There appear to be plentiful after-market / pattern copies of the Bosch unit. Does anyone know if they are functionally the same or do they cut corners with some of the cleverness of the proper Bosch unit? Should I be seeking a Bosch labelled one?

In the short term I just need to get the car running (and starting reliably) so that car can go to the bodyshop (it's a one man band and with a car as heavy as the Dino he prefers if it can move under it's own power). In which case, can I switch the Bosch unit with the points?

Thanks for your continued input folks, it really is much appreciated.
Tobi
Site Admin

Post by Tobi »

JeremyC wrote:In the short term I just need to get the car running (and starting reliably) so that car can go to the bodyshop (it's a one man band and with a car as heavy as the Dino he prefers if it can move under it's own power). In which case, can I switch the Bosch unit with the points?
You don't need a Dinoplex or any other ignition system to get the car running. The first Dinos have been shipped without a Dinoplex. It was added later for better performance. The engine starts and runs on points only too.
doublegarage

Post by doublegarage »

Jeremy
" Should I be seeking a Bosch labelled one?"

Hard to say - I see the Bosch-labelled ones on Ebay say "made in Taiwan" on them - so it's possible that Meyle and the others who make the clones are buying from the same factory.

I searched for a different, but similar Bosch module recently, also used on lots of VWs - that led me to a discussion where owners were complaining that only the Bosch ones were reliable and everything else fell apart, so I bought Bosch - and I did get a Bosch for the Dino too.

I'm wary of ebay auctions that proclaim "top german quality" but then show a picture of something with no labelling. But, with your need to just get to the paint shop, I'd probably either not bother with any electronics as Tobi suggests - or buy the clone and see how it goes for a while.

You do need the correct coil, however, and the iridium plugs made a difference to how my car started and idled.

-Richard
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

Good point but I would like it starting on the button for the body man so that's why I'm considering doing it.