Engine start up process

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

fdus172
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

Engine start up process

Post by fdus172 »

I'm finally ready to start the engine on my 2.0 coupe after a complete rebuild, but want to ensure adequate oil pressure first. Can the feed into the oil filter be used to prime the oil pump? or is there a better way. Clearly the first cranks will be with the ignition disable and the plugs out... any other recommendations.

thanks

Rick
Portland Oregon
Dino John
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Spider

Re: Engine start up process

Post by Dino John »

Hi Rick,
That's very exciting , the only help I can offer you is to forward my mechanic's email address…he would definitely have the answers you're looking for should you get stuck.

Cheers
John
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

As you say, crank it over with the plugs out until oil pressure is showing.

Your engine builder should have used an assembly lubricant on the cams and bearings and this should still be present.

I might be tempted to put a shot or two of oil down the bores.

Don't forget to check the oil level once you've cranked it for a bit.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

I understand what you mean with priming the oil pump. I think hardly anyone does that and it will most likely suck up oil after some time but I always fill the pump from the oil filter feed side and turn the engine in counter direction to be sure the pump and suction tube to the sump is full with oil. It might not be necessary but it won't do any harm.
frrarinut

Post by frrarinut »

Hi Rick, The reason that people spin engines without ignition after a rebuild is to ensure that the oil pump (and its pressure side line connections) are working properly, prior to starting the engine. Pumping oil into an engine manually prior to spinning it doesn't really have much effect on anything, especially if the engine has been assembled with proper assembly lube, or grease, or oil. Many brand new engines have been burned up because of mis-assembled check valves and new oil pumps not lining up with oil ports. (This comment is general and not specific to Dino engines). It is definitely a good idea to pull the plugs and spin the engine, while checking for oil pressure to confirm that your oil pump is working before you risk running a new engine. Once you have determined that the engine makes oil pressure then you can add ignition and run it. Tribologists will tell you that the working pressure in a plain bearing develops from RPM, not from the pump pressure. The pump is only there to supply and circulate the oil. All oil pumps need to be self-priming in order to work properly so manual priming doesn't test that the pump is working properly.