Hardtop mounting

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

malcolmb
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Spider

Hardtop mounting

Post by malcolmb »

Gentlemen: I have a hardtop for my Dino, it is missing the hardware which would be on the "B" pillar to clamp it to the car-could someone post a photo of this hardware so I will know what to make?
Thanks to George I now have the correct gears for the taller fifth gear, I will report back after the installation.
Thanks
Malcolm
ebrown5686

Re: Hardtop mounting

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hello Malcolm,
I believe the part is on eBay! Take a look at "Alfa Romeo hardtop latch" on eBay, and Mr.Fiat appears to have a set for $240. The hook that catches the top mechanism is a little different, but other than being chrome-plated they otherwise look just like the ones on the hardtop I'm getting ready to restore. I think I've seen them for sale for a little less on a European site but I sure can't remember where. I'll try to look around.
Good luck on getting your top serviceable. I'm just starting in now with the scavenger hunt I'll need to go through to get mine into decent shape. I really need to tear it all down but I would like to avoid that if possible. Maybe we could compare notes sometime.
Ed Brown
Spider 2400 #1396
malcolmb

Post by malcolmb »

Ed: Sorry- I was momentarily distracted by installing the taller fifth gear. I am ready to get back to the hardtop. the part I would like to see is the "latch" or bracket at the "B" pillar[if there was one], not the latch for the windscreen and not the latch for the back of the hardtop where it latches to the car.
My top has no latch in the middle where the top is held to the car at the area behind the door. I have never seen this part.
I would be happy to exchange notes...where are you?
Malcolm
ebrown5686

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi Malcomb,
I saw your post from yesterday, and I'd be glad to help you in any way possible. I could take a couple of of pictures of my rather grungy black latches if it would help. I'm thinking of giving them a good soak in some carb cleaner and see if I can get them looking better.
Is your hardtop a Pininfarina or a Marcplas? I have a Pininfarina top,and I'm not sure at all what the B-pillar latches for a Marcplas would look like.
I did check again, and Mr. Fiat is still selling a pair of Alfa Romeo ones, chrome plated for $240(pricey,as always) on eBay. In looking closely at them, they look more or less like mine, but chrome plated. I also noticed that there is a difference in the hooks that attaches them to the top mechanism, and they would have to be reshaped to fit our Dino's.
Have you disassembled your top yet? Perhaps we could compare notes on things. Feel free to reply or you can PM me.
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396
malcolmb

Post by malcolmb »

ED: thanks, I looked at the paRT AND THOINK YOU HAVE IT RIGHT. more importantly I see the square plate with the latch hook which I assume mounts to the body...that is the missing part which I haven't previously seen.
where are you located?
Malcolm
ebrown5686

Post by ebrown5686 »

Hi malcomb,
I'm in Albuquerque, New Mexico USA. Just let me know how I can be of help. Good luck with your car! I'll wait to hear from you.
Ed
Spider 2400 #1396