2.0 cam cover gasket fitting

Technical Topics and Discussions

Moderator: alh

JeremyC
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.0 Coupe

2.0 cam cover gasket fitting

Post by JeremyC »

I am just fitting (for the first time) new cam cover gaskets on my 2.0.

There is a rectangular area at the back of both banks that looks like it goes under the rear most camshaft clamp. Is this correct or do I need to trim these rectangles off, are they just there for strength in transit? Do I just remove the clamp, remove any old gasket and replace the clamp or it it more complicated than that? It's odd, because I was't aware of having to tear the old gasket at this point.

As ever, thanks.
Bijan
Dino: Fiat Dino 2.4 Coupe

Re: 2.0 cam cover gasket fitting

Post by Bijan »

Hi Jeremy,

as far as I remember I have just cut the mentioned
parts out. The sealing in this area should be done by the small camshaft covers at
the front and the rear of the cylinder head.

Regards
Bijan
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

All sorted thanks folks, once I thought about a bit more cutting became obvious. I marked the gaskets up on the covers before cutting to ensure a really good fit.
Stefan2000

Post by Stefan2000 »

How do these dino gaskets fit in general and how is the quality?
I've had some bad experiences over the years with gaskets (not Dino related) so from now on if I need gaskets I draw them myself and have them lasercut from material I know the quality is right. Last year I made them for my dino as well and it was perfect fit and after 8000km still no signs of any sweating. So if the ones available through the suppliers are somewhat poor quality I could have more produced.
JeremyC

Post by JeremyC »

The Superformance gaskets are good quality they just come as a single piece for each head so there is some trimming to do.